Thread: Best collapsible sand crab pots?

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Best collapsible sand crab pots?

Which pot do you guys find the best?

I heard a rumour from BCF that the collapsible mesh RECTANGULAR pots have been banned? Anybody know any more on this?

I'd like to try those collapsible, metal mesh pots but they only have two trap openings...... about $28 each!

Thanks
    Last edited by ThePinkPanther; 23-01-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: Best collapsible sand crab pots?

There was talk about the rectangular collapsable pots being banned. But i dont know if it actually happened.

I talked to Prof Col Limpus the turtle expert some years ago and there is a lot of evidence that turtles get caught in them because the entrances are big enough for them to get head and shoulders and front flippers inside, then they get stuck and drown. They are also notorious for washing away with tides because they are so light. Then they "ghost fish" and kill things for ages. Not good.

I couldn't see anything about them being banned on the fisheries webpage but maybe it is in the fine print have a look here to see if it says anything about max sixe of the entrances

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries...s-and-lobsters

If your pots got washed away with the tide your rope must have been too short or pots in too big a current area. Be a good idea to search for for them to see if they have got washed onto a shallower area.

here is a fisheries guide

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/as...d-DL-flyer.pdf
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Thanks for that good info! I've been using that type for around ten years but yesterday proves what you say might be right!

On the western side of the Maroom Banks in 5 metres of H2O and10 metres of rope, we lost four pots due a current so strong I had trouble pulling the pots in!

Bit, the light frames were certainly not up to it so going to scrap them for good!

PP try these he has a range of pots http://www.crabpotcenter.com
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPanther View Post
    Thanks for that good info! I've been using that type for around ten years but yesterday proves what you say might be right!

On the western side of the Maroom Banks in 5 metres of H2O and10 metres of rope, we lost four pots due a current so strong I had trouble pulling the pots in!

Bit, the light frames were certainly not up to it so going to scrap them for good!
    Mate of mine lost 4 of his new pots due to strong current and weed cluttering his pots. The piffle ropes that came with the pots broke on the way up. Upgraded his ropes since. I use the round BCF and CrabnGear pots. With the theft so rife it's hard to justify the expensive pots, though I haven't lost one for a while (touch wood)
    Cheers

I've been using BCF pots for over 10 years and in that time I have caught hundreds and hundreds of crabs, yes the more expensive pots may catch and hold crab better than the BCF ones but I cannot justify the price of some of these encase the thieves like them more than you do (touch wood I have only lost one or two to thieves in this time)

If you put your pots in a spot that has a fair current and weed flowing through there is a good chance you will loose them, this has only happened to me once in Pumicstone I learnt very quickly.

I wait for the specials each year and get four pots regardless, I keep 8 to 12 new ones in the shed to replace any stolen or lost pots and as my rotation stock. I have eight in use for the bay and four older ones for the creek, I get at least two years out of them before they are showing enough signs of wear to be chucked out.

They perform well enough for me and have always provided a feed for the family and a good price.
    Cheers Axl

1mtr pots from the crab pot centre,great pot...these bugger wont drift away,if there gone its either stolen or run over by a boat
    9/ 2016-8/2017 crab count
    604 sandies
    7 muddie
    0 rock crab
    0 coral crab