Thread: CapDB7's Redcliffe fishing thread

Ausfish New Member
    Blog Entries

CapDB7's Redcliffe fishing thread

Hey guys.

I fish predominantly on the Redcliffe peninsular and as I live beachside I do manage to get out quite a lot and talk to a lot of other fishermen. Rather than starting a new thread each time I go out, this is where I'll write my updates (FAO Admins- is this okay?). Don't know if anyone will be interested, but I for one find it fascinating to see how a place performs over a longer period.

Mainly land based (not always) and not the type who only goes after the big fish. I'm just happy wetting a line and catching whatever fancies taking my bait. Usually catch and release.

Spent an hour down Scarby Harbour today, initially with a few bloodworms. Had a grass sweetlip and a flounder (both under 25cms). Swapped to mullet chunks on a single hook but got smashed by so, so many crabs. Called it a day when I nearly drowned with midday sweat.

Someone had a huge stonefish out of there the other day and left it (!) on a picnic table. Unbelievable. Also three dugongs have been messing around at the harbour's mouth recently.

Re: CapDB7's Redcliffe fishing thread

Good stuff, mate.

Amazing what gets around in that harbour. Have caught Jacks and Cod in there, and someone even said they caught a Fingermark one night. Swore it wasn't a Moses Perch, so may be true.

Good to see the Dugongs around there. Hopefully the nearby grass beds are restoring.

A pro was telling me one of the trawlers there had a bevvy of big whalers follow them into the harbour last week.

Keep us updated on any fishing you do in there, as it's always interesting to hear.

Cuzza

Ausfish New Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Cuzzamundi.

I was speaking with the guy who cleans the bins and toilets around the harbour, he's there a few times everyday so if anyone is going to be in the know it would most certainly be him!

I myself haven't seen any dugongs (been here four years and will never stop searching!) but have seen the dolphins a few feet from shore at the Shield St Jetty a few times. Usually this coincides with bush fires either on one of the islands or bribie and always in the cooler months. I keep note of anything out of the ordinary and it's pretty amazing how when looked at afterwards that a pattern emerges.

Will certainly keep this thread updated.

I try to (skin) dive all the reefs out the front every winter. Some interesting life gets around out there, for sure. Some big predators, too, ha. Certainly keeps you looking at your surrounds, especially when spearing. The vis is never over 4 metres, but it's still infinitely better than it is now.

Keep us updated, mate.

Cuzza

Between Caboolture River mouth and Sandstone Point is a bed that regularly holds a dugong or two.
    I have also seen them in Tripcony Bight in years gone by......I would suspect the boat traffic in the passage has probably killed off this though.

I wouldn't rule out seeing a few dugongs near the Scarby harbour as they travel towards the southern bay feeding areas.

Be careful around the Scarby Harbour......being a still water environment with plenty of bilge water being dispensed every day leads to much higher levels than normal of dangerous bacteria and disease. It has held the highest recording of Cholera in Australia many years in the past. Be sure to keep any open sores well protected from the harbour's waters.
    Jack.

Ausfish New Member
    Blog Entries

Spent last night (Sunday) on the Hornybrook bridge. Shouldn't have bothered!

Headed down around 8pm and stuck around until midnight. Alternated between mullet, pillies and live herring and not a thing before, during or after the full moon high tide. A stingray and ten baitfish in nets was the only other action I saw.

Ten blokes were there fishing but the only thing that turned up were catfish. One guy had five on one rod in an hour (on different baits). I remember someone saying to always rerig a rod after catching one as they secrete a nasty liquid which puts off other fish. Does this same slime entice more catfish to the bait too? I've never seen so many attack the one rod, even after changing baits. Think he was using mullet strips and prawns. Certainly an eye opener.

Then to top it all off, after the 20 minute walk back to the Woody Point/Clontarf carpark, saw some guys catch a decent flathead on the underpass below the road! I'd put the walk in for nothing. Typical!

I'm more and more convinced that it matters little where a person decides to bait fish from land on the peninsula as I still cannot see any pattern!

And a question: Would the peninsula be the most fished (land based) location this close to Brisbane?

Clear your inbox CapDB7.......
    Jack.

Ausfish New Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Clear your inbox CapDB7.......
    Done. Didn't realise sent messages counted towards the total.

As I posted in another thread, no prawns in Hayes Inlet yesterday afternoon and one fella fishing near me had very little success.

Nice one Cap. I'll look forward to your updates.

I understand you enjoy just wetting a line and waiting for whatever will take your bait, but you can seriously increase your catch rate by simply targeting a particular species in the right place at the right time with the right bait.

For example, whiting can be found along the foreshores at Margate by fishing some of the noticeable gutters using worms during the summer months, this can be a quite the relaxing experience, pull up a camp chair and take a book and flask of coffee or a few beers and settle in with some course sand between your toes, bycatch can be interesting too. Or maybe flatties through Hayes inlet or the Scarby spit on slowly worked whitebait or blue pillies during Autumn.

Only time and experience on the water will tell you the right times and places, but it is a start and helps to prevent the assumption "that it matters little where a person decides to bait fish from land on the peninsula", because there are fish to be caught for those willing to put in the time and effort to learn how to target and not just fish.