Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any prawns

Re: any prawns

Quote Originally Posted by mitc69 View Post
    im not a big fan on scale fish, hate scaling and gutting lol... if it not a non scale fish i dont even bother, it just catch and release, im one of those guys who think flat head are disgusting while everyone think it good eating... im still thinking wtf!
    but good thing is prawn are around,
    And yet prawns are filter feeders.......basically surviving on the crap you hate on your feet..... At least flathead are predators.
    Jack.

Went in front of Redcliffe this morning and saw several big prawns flicking on the surface......trawlers out 1km wider........there were a couple of bait schools on the sounder that might have been prawns.......
    Jack.

I was wondering how others cook their prawns and crabs. Some use salted ice water to cool the prawns and crabs after cooking others do not, would this change the taste.
    Old guy once told me to add one table spoon of brown sugar and the juice of one lemon and throw the remains of the lemon in the pot.
    Honestly I could not tell any difference in the taste.

peeled prawns, cook until editable or your type of taste, then wash it out then coriander, shallot, sweet chillin paste, 1 sliced red onion, 2 lemon, chopped mint, abit of salt and fish sauce is how i cook mine prawn.. crab i dont eat so
    all depend how you'be been eating them

Just boil in salt water for me. I put them in cold water so I can start eating them quicker. I guess something large like a crab will continue to cook after being taken from the water, the iced water will stop it from overcooking.

When I worked on prawn trawlers, it was simply straight out seawater, no additional salt, once cooked, fresh seawater was used to clean the scum off them and also to quickly cool them down and they went into the hull and stored with sea ice and rock salt.

No matter how much freshwater and salt one adds, one cannot replicate sea water properties

I was watching Curtis Stone on ch33 with a top American chef and they maintain crustaceans should be allowed to rest after cooking.
    They say if you wash them with salt or fresh water or soak them in ice water you are washing away the flavour.

Any updates on the prawns? Heading out tomorrow morning in the pine to try my luck

not with the current wind, havent been out and this insane 38 heat is a killer but keep us posted if u end up going

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Any updates on the prawns? Heading out tomorrow morning in the pine to try my luck
    They were in the pine last weekend.

Put in at deep water this morning at 0900. Got a few in front of pontoons near ramp. Only getting them in ones and twos but decent size. Decided to head up past highway bridge near wreck where once again they were coming in singles and doubles with the odd 5 and 6 as well. Was beginning to be hard work so went to try some other spots. Interestingly the further up stream we went the less banana prawns we got but the more greasy prawns. Went back to the bridge and persevered for another hour before it was time to get the kids from school.
    Great way to spend the morning even if there weren't prawns in great numbers. Ended up with 3kg in just over 3 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Put in at deep water this morning at 0900. Got a few in front of pontoons near ramp. Only getting them in ones and twos but decent size. Decided to head up past highway bridge near wreck where once again they were coming in singles and doubles with the odd 5 and 6 as well. Was beginning to be hard work so went to try some other spots. Interestingly the further up stream we went the less banana prawns we got but the more greasy prawns. Went back to the bridge and persevered for another hour before it was time to get the kids from school.
    Great way to spend the morning even if there weren't prawns in great numbers. Ended up with 3kg in just over 3 hours.
    what sort of net you throwin?

I make panel nets with 10 sections if anyone is interested.

IMG_1384 (Small).jpgIMG_1401 (Small).jpgIMG_1388 (Small).jpg

How much woofa?

I joined "The Rebel Alliance"

$320 - $350 for these. The biggest will throw to 6+ meters and not spring back. With 3mm chain, they are around 6kg dry.