Thread: skardon river

skardon river

Hi all,

Heading up to the skardon river this year end of may early june for a week. Been doing a little research speaking to a few people i know but wanted to know if anyone on here has fished the area and may have any tips. I have been told there are some reefs relatively close that can be fished if the weather is good (off the top of my head Kerr reef was one). Also to the north, the jackson river can fish quite well. If anyone has any advice or tips that would be great. Looking forward to seeing another part of cape york and hopefully getting a few fish!

Cheers

Re: skardon river

Hi Mate,

I have fished the Skardon and the close in reefs including Kerr, though I usually fish further south around Mapoon.

Skardon is a big river, but is very wide and shallow at the mouth, need some tide to get past. It is tricky finding a good line and can be painful getting in and out though is only sand so nothing really to hit aside from the odd branch.

I have never had much luck in the river, but I haven't really fished it for long enough to get to know it well enough either. There is a big mooring beacon in deep water upriver you can find some reasonable fish around, but you need to be careful as there is a massive grouper that lives under it that tends to take your fish

Relatively easy to travel the river, but there are some nasty rock bars, about a mile or so upriver from the camping area on the northern bank in particular, pretty nasty and I came very close to parking my boat on top. Comes up from 25 foot to nothing in a few metres and is a big hook so you can find yourself inside it very easily, only just breaks the surface at low so quite difficult to see.

Try some of the drains closer to high, you will find some OK Barra depending on the runoff/wet season, haven't found too many in the last few years with average rainfall.

For the reefs, just sound around looking for some bommies or rubble, drop a squid or Livie down and see how you go. The reefs are really very small and only in 25-40 foot so make sure you are right on top. If no fish in 10 ,minutes move on.

Allot of decent cod, fingermark and blueys around if you work hard enough. Odd cobia and trout around too though the latter mostly on plastics. Tuna and small Mack's everywhere if you chase the birds. The taxman is a regular visitor too, once he turns up move on.

You won't go without a feed but if it's your first trip you will need to work pretty hard, after a few years it gets allot easier. Top spot - but pretty remote so make sure you boat is in good nick. I haven't been to the Jackson but I would be going in company as you won't see anyone else up there. Top part of the world but like I said you need to be totally self sufficient. Weather can be difficult too - I have been on trips where it has blown 25-35 every day for 2 weeks so can be challenging, still fish able but can be hard work. Last time I was in the Skardon I counted 18 tinnys, so in the river you will be ok but once out the front company is fairly thin on the ground.

We usually fish in 4.5m ish tinnies, though I now take an 18 foot platey and one of the other boys is building a 16 foot platey too after too long dealing with rubbishy weather up there and wanting to fish wider and further up the cape. 4+ m tinnies will get you around most places though, especially in company.

Have fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kondo, Great run down mate! Some knowledge from someone who has been there before is fantastic! Some great info, especially about the rocks and the mouth opening. We have 2 boats going, don't like being up north flying solo as that can lead to issues with breakdowns etc. Im pretty keen to check it all out, sounds like a popular place if you were seeing 18 boats up there!! Be interesting to see how we go in regards to a wet season as i guess that will determine how well the estuary fishing is!

Did you drop any crab pots in while you were up there kondo1?

Quote Originally Posted by Kondo 1 View Post
    Hi Mate,

I have fished the Skardon and the close in reefs including Kerr, though I usually fish further south around Mapoon.

Skardon is a big river, but is very wide and shallow at the mouth, need some tide to get past. It is tricky finding a good line and can be painful getting in and out though is only sand so nothing really to hit aside from the odd branch.

I have never had much luck in the river, but I haven't really fished it for long enough to get to know it well enough either. There is a big mooring beacon in deep water upriver you can find some reasonable fish around, but you need to be careful as there is a massive grouper that lives under it that tends to take your fish

Relatively easy to travel the river, but there are some nasty rock bars, about a mile or so upriver from the camping area on the northern bank in particular, pretty nasty and I came very close to parking my boat on top. Comes up from 25 foot to nothing in a few metres and is a big hook so you can find yourself inside it very easily, only just breaks the surface at low so quite difficult to see.

Try some of the drains closer to high, you will find some OK Barra depending on the runoff/wet season, haven't found too many in the last few years with average rainfall.

For the reefs, just sound around looking for some bommies or rubble, drop a squid or Livie down and see how you go. The reefs are really very small and only in 25-40 foot so make sure you are right on top. If no fish in 10 ,minutes move on.

Allot of decent cod, fingermark and blueys around if you work hard enough. Odd cobia and trout around too though the latter mostly on plastics. Tuna and small Mack's everywhere if you chase the birds. The taxman is a regular visitor too, once he turns up move on.

You won't go without a feed but if it's your first trip you will need to work pretty hard, after a few years it gets allot easier. Top spot - but pretty remote so make sure you boat is in good nick. I haven't been to the Jackson but I would be going in company as you won't see anyone else up there. Top part of the world but like I said you need to be totally self sufficient. Weather can be difficult too - I have been on trips where it has blown 25-35 every day for 2 weeks so can be challenging, still fish able but can be hard work. Last time I was in the Skardon I counted 18 tinnys, so in the river you will be ok but once out the front company is fairly thin on the ground.

We usually fish in 4.5m ish tinnies, though I now take an 18 foot platey and one of the other boys is building a 16 foot platey too after too long dealing with rubbishy weather up there and wanting to fish wider and further up the cape. 4+ m tinnies will get you around most places though, especially in company.

Have fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do a search on Ausfish and you should find previous posts also.

Hi Mate

4 of us went up a couple of years back in October for the build up, approximately 900ks of dirt, so make sure you have spare springs, bearings and hubs. it takes about 10 - 12 hrs to get in from Bramwell station to Skardon. Dry season was steady no real major obstacles, when you hit gate the creek is tidal thou. Once you past thru gate down the road to sand dunes and then you travel about 16 ks on top of the sand dune, you will see tracks. we got stuck once so just lower tyres and keep revs up. Try and camp east end of mouth of river under some trees to as the wind does not let up sometimes. As for fishing we found plenty of creeks, mud crabs and a few fish (thought we would have caught bigger) Kerr reef if on is good, the Jackson river fished well at the mouth rock bar with hole and up the creek fishing for jacks was fantastic any sort of snag just try it, the key is keep moving around, I found the main river on the jackson a few ks in was good. Bait fishing mix it up with dead and live at the time we where there the live ones didn't get a touch only dead mullet. Beauty will be around you all the time so if the fish are biting always you still have plenty to see and do.

If you need further info just pm me.

This is one beautiful place is Queensland and I know you will enjoy very much

I was in there in 2013 and 2014. The track in from the OTL had a few wash outs in some of the little creek but we got over them ok. The last few kms before the beach is very soft sand and low tyre pressure is required. The same goes for the track behind the beach if there has been a lot of traffic. It would take around 5 hours from OTL when fully loaded and taking it easy.
    We found it a great place to fish but we camped in there for 6 weeks and could have a good look around. Lots of reef north between the mouth and the Jackson and the Kerr reef is 18km from camp if the weather is good. If the wind is up fish the river. Lots of jacks up the main river, go past the 2 small creek that are very close to each other on the left, about 2 more bends in the main river and there is a rock bar that holds a lot of jack and small cod. Be very careful in this area as the rocks come out at low tide in some places. The mouth of the creek across the river from camp has an endless supply of trevally and queeny’s on the last of the run out tide.
    There is a well there with water we used for showers. Only down side is that too many campers are not digging a hole for their toilet and there was land mines everywhere. It is not hard to dig a hole as it is all sand!! Top spot all round and you will have a great time.

Block, fantastic information mate. Appreciate it. Heading up for the first time so any information on a new area is fantastic. Six weeks out now so getting a little excited. If anyone else has any info they are happy to share would be very grateful.

Cheers

Hit the Jackson River every September from Thursday Island. Fishing varies but found better barra fishing up towards the fresh. Watch my vids on YouTube channel 'Fishing Missions'. Search 'Cape York Fishing Mission' and Cape York fishing adventure (Jackson River). Kerr reef area is a hotspot for mackerel. Bombies in deeper area hold Nannygai and reds (just legal). Keep an eye on sounder whilst trolling. If all else fails and the weather allows the tuna should keep you busy. Have fun