Thread: Dash to 1770 14/01/16i

Dash to 1770 14/01/16i

My good mate and I headed up wensday after work the plan was to sleep at the servo and be first in line for fuel.. We pulled up at 12pm and hit the sack straight away.
    then at 1am a guy turns up and parks on the other side of the servo I think ok that's alright
    he bangs around for about 20min then drives over and literally parks himself and caravan 1.5m from me and bangs around for another hour .
    by now I'm getting frustrated as I have had no sleep finally he stops making a ruckus closed my eyes and it felt like 15min later the dam baker starts his morning 😡
    Now I no not to sleep at the servo lol...

the weather report on bom and bouyweather said Thursday and Friday to be great days with long rolling swell 1m at 10 sec. This proved to be wrong with 1m of confused slop which took us nearly 3 hours to get to musgrave not good on no sleep

We sat behind the island for a while and licked our wounds and regained our thoughts.
    Headed out to the red spot and picked up a few hussar and parrots then a nice school red hit the boat Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	112092
    little bit latter and on again it had the big head shakes and we called it for a red but we are unsure
    what it is and hoping the good people can helpClick image for larger version. 

Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	112093
    this fish went 7kg
    we headed back to musgrave as we were spent and settled in. it was the best I have ever slept on a boat.
    headed out and went for a jig landed a couple of rat kings and some ambers to 8kg we did 10 drifts for 8 fish and they were all released only lost one jig to the taxman which was surprising.
    Click image for larger version. 

Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	112095Click image for larger version. 

Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	112096Click image for larger version. 

Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	112097Click image for larger version. 

Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	112098
    Started looking for some new ground there was lots of fish but could not get anything to eat
    i wound up a hussar and as it got to the top a pair of dollies were shadowing it so out went the small sebile stick bait and the acrobatics were awesome on 20pound gear
    I hit this fish around 8times on the head with the night night stick and brought him in for a photo
    then James hooks up so we are waiting for him to bring this fish up and the dollie just comes back to life and goes nuts for a good 2 min jams and I were standing on the gunnels as this fish still with the lure,gaff and my rod and reel attached does its thing then I go shit it's my stella😱
    Now its setteld I bleed him and stick him in the esky and checked the damage rod was in 3 pieces bail arm bent on the reel and the hooks gone on the lure oh and the side pocket fell of the boat as well.

headed back in for a troll picked up a 7kg Spanish Click image for larger version. 

Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	112099 hen got a couple on slugs to top the esky around the same size headed home and back in brissy by midnight
    That was our trip hard bottom fishing in summer but still love going to paradise

thanks for for reading cheers scott
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	112094  
    Last edited by Jsmfun; 18-01-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Funny errors
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Re: Dash to 1770 14/01/16i

Gotta watch them dollies - need to make up a setup like the Hawaiians do - hook attached to a length of good cord with an eye in the end. Use the eye to take a bight around the tail wrist, bend em up and hook though the jaw so the fish is bent into a banana. They can't do a thing then. Sounds like a good trip apart from the insomnia and the damage.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Good read, looks like you had plenty of action.
    Re the fish id, looks like a Yellow Tailed Sweetlip. Let us know how it cooks up.
    You're killing me with the reports. My planets are not lining up at all.... Jim.
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Nice report Scott. Some good fish caught. Your mystery fish is a Robinson's Sea Bream. Supposed to be good chewing.

On our last trip to 1770, we arrived in town at midnight. There was a group of people hanging around the servo corner, so we drove up the road to the tavern and parked on the side of the road there and got good uninterrupted sleep and still one of the first in line for fuel when the servo opened.

cheers

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Gotta watch them dollies - need to make up a setup like the Hawaiians do - hook attached to a length of good cord with an eye in the end. Use the eye to take a bight around the tail wrist, bend em up and hook though the jaw so the fish is bent into a banana. They can't do a thing then. Sounds like a good trip apart from the insomnia and the damage.
    That sounds like a good idea normaly they go straight into the coffin lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimg View Post
    Good read, looks like you had plenty of action.
    Re the fish id, looks like a Yellow Tailed Sweetlip. Let us know how it cooks up.
    You're killing me with the reports. My planets are not lining up at all.... Jim.
    It has the Blue lines of a sweet lip but the nose was very stubby compared to normal sweet lip
    thanks jim I'll look them up

Quote Originally Posted by Short Fuse View Post
    Nice report Scott. Some good fish caught. Your mystery fish is a Robinson's Sea Bream. Supposed to be good chewing.

On our last trip to 1770, we arrived in town at midnight. There was a group of people hanging around the servo corner, so we drove up the road to the tavern and parked on the side of the road there and got good uninterrupted sleep and still one of the first in line for fuel when the servo opened.

cheers

Jeff
    never herd of a Robinson sea bream I need to do so research thanks and thanks for the tavern hint I much appreciate it

Thats definitely a Robinson sea bream we've caught a few around Frasier the last couple of years. Real white flesh and super tasty as well.

That servo is not the place to rest your head especially on a Friday night if you want a good sleep, have learnt my lesson there.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    Thats definitely a Robinson sea bream we've caught a few around Frasier the last couple of years. Real white flesh and super tasty as well.

That servo is not the place to rest your head especially on a Friday night if you want a good sleep, have learnt my lesson there.
    Yes I agree it tasted great I can't wait to hook up another .and I hear you I've had a few people say don't stay there on Friday nights