Thread: What kayak to buy?

What kayak to buy?

Hey guys, so I've just recently bought a car so I can go fishing with ease, rather than having to carry all of my fishing gear on public transport, it's a station wagon with roof racks. So my question is, I want to buy a kayak for fishing, I'll be mainly fishing in small-large estuaries, and maybe even bays. For example, Botany Bay will be the bay I'll be fishing in and all of the estuaries running from the bay. I was looking into pedal kayaks until I saw the price tag so that will probably not be an option until the future. I saw the size of a person affects the type of kayak as well, I weigh approximately around 90kgs, and around 180cm tall.

I probably want a kayak that I can stand up if necessary, but will mostly be sitting down. Also, I don't really care about the speed too much, so something that's pretty stable, but not too slow, so maybe something in between? I want to spend anywhere between $600-$800. This will be my first kayak, so I don't want something too flashy, but something that will last some time until I'm ready to upgrade.

Thanks in advance from everyone's help (:

Justin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What kayak to buy?

Other threads here give info re what kayak.
    Make sure you can lift/carry it.
    Second hand maybe worth exploring ?

Keep in mind you may want a fish finder, eg a $100+ cheapie that gives a Volt reading;
    and battery, eg a cluster of cheap AAAs in a jaycar battery holder, or a little deepcycle eg 5amp ?.
    Transire vinus forticulus

I don't know how sounders work, so I might think of getting one in the future, but at the moment, I just want a kayak that will get me through river systems so I can cast SP's into structure etc.

If you're wanting to fish in bays more than rivers, I'd be searching for an ocean kayaks prowler or wilderness systems tarpon 140. Something with a bit of length (around and slightly above the 4m mark). If rivers are more your thing aim for a smaller tarpon (100 or 120 i think are the sizes) or really any number of smaller plastic kayaks. A good brand second hand tends to outperform a brand new cheapy from what I've seen. The holy grail for versatility here is definitely a perception swing. Discontinued and don't come up too often, but that would be an awesome kayak which you should find in that price range. Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by JuzzyRawrs View Post
    Hey guys, so I've just recently bought a car so I can go fishing with ease, rather than having to carry all of my fishing gear on public transport, it's a station wagon with roof racks. So my question is, I want to buy a kayak for fishing, I'll be mainly fishing in small-large estuaries, and maybe even bays. For example, Botany Bay will be the bay I'll be fishing in and all of the estuaries running from the bay. I was looking into pedal kayaks until I saw the price tag so that will probably not be an option until the future. I saw the size of a person affects the type of kayak as well, I weigh approximately around 90kgs, and around 180cm tall.

I probably want a kayak that I can stand up if necessary, but will mostly be sitting down. Also, I don't really care about the speed too much, so something that's pretty stable, but not too slow, so maybe something in between? I want to spend anywhere between $600-$800. This will be my first kayak, so I don't want something too flashy, but something that will last some time until I'm ready to upgrade.

Thanks in advance from everyone's help (:

Justin.

I had the same frame of mind when I bought my first Kayak, but I was asked why buy a shit one that doesn't perform, because you are going to have to buy another one eventually.

So with that in mind I bought a 4.1 kayak for $1400, and have spent another $1000 added pods and rudder, sounder etc and I highly doubt I will need to replace it for 10years or more. In the long run this will be much cheaper and much more enjoyable.

I thanks myself ever time I head out that I did that.

Benefits of a better design are things like warranty (30 years), design, speed, weight (24kg).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YOOT View Post
    I had the same frame of mind when I bought my first Kayak, but I was asked why buy a shit one that doesn't perform, because you are going to have to buy another one eventually.

So with that in mind I bought a 4.1 kayak for $1400, and have spent another $1000 added pods and rudder, sounder etc and I highly doubt I will need to replace it for 10years or more. In the long run this will be much cheaper and much more enjoyable.

I thanks myself ever time I head out that I did that.

Benefits of a better design are things like warranty (30 years), design, speed, weight (24kg).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So I'm thinking maybe look for a second hand kayak? I will never be going offshore so I don't think I'll be needing a 'beast'. If I'm fishing in a bay, something around 4 metre? What brands should I look out for if I'm going secondhand?

Anaconda sell some yaks, anyone recommend them?

I'm now thinking about getting the Viking profish 400 lite.

It's a bit out of my price range, but I'm thinking if I get that one, I won't need to upgrade. Anyone recommend them?

They get a lot of good feedback and haven't heard a bad thing about them. I doubt you'd regret that purchase and it should last you for a long time.

What kayak to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomphisher View Post
    They get a lot of good feedback and haven't heard a bad thing about them. I doubt you'd regret that purchase and it should last you for a long time.
    I love how you can buy assesories for it, like a chill pod, by for $300 I'm pretty sure I could just buy an esky and secure it in somehow right?

Are there any other good yaks for $1500?

Second hand Hobie. There are some good buys out there. Hands free to fish! Get what you pay for.