Thread: Trivia for Today

Trivia for Today

Today's Trivia...

Just how quick can a wahoo throw a lap around a Seafarer Victory when attached to said vessel by about 20 feet of 20lb braid - more on that shortly

With the young bloke still off school and the weather looking like crap for the rest of the weekend, we made a somewhat late decision to have a look at the waverider buoy off lookout to see if any dollies were up for a play. We crossed SPB at the somewhat gentlemanly time of 8.30 and attempted to get a few livies at a couple of spots without joy so we headed out hoping that if the fish were there, they would be happy with a feed of pillies.

We need not have been concerned. Apart from copious amounts of "coral spawn" there was not a single sign of life at the waverider. From here we shot over to the Cathedrals area but the current was running pretty quick so we decided to deploy a spread of jetheads and make our way back to Lookout.

An uneventful run ensued and as we approached Point Lookout there was a quite large area of what appeared to be small tuna balling up bait. I pulled the boat up, cut the engine and retrieved the lures. As I reached for a spin rod from the launcher, a wahoo cruised by at a leisurely pace so I flicked the slug ahead of it and cranked it back. The fish turned and followed but didn't really show too much interest so I grabbed a pilly and lobbed it over the side. The hoo climbed all over it like a kid on a candy bar so while the young fella kept him interested with a steady supply of fish snickers, I clipped the slug off my baitrunner outfit (it was the only one with wire already attached) and tied on a single 4/0 Big Gun.

Now, everyone tells you just how quick hoo are, but after reading all the reports, after watching the videos of reels emptying in a matter of seconds, I was not even remotely prepared for what happened next. I laced the next pilly with the Big Gun and dropped it over the side, closed the bail arm and engaged the bait runner. The wahoo shot from under the boat and grabbed the bait about 6 feet from the rod tip. There was only about 6 inches of wire in the rig so I didn't want to give him too much chance to get the bait right down. Thinking it would simply light the afterburner and scorch off, I gave it about 20 feet of line, engaged the reel and struck hard.

The fish did light the afterburner, but I obviously didn't make myself clear to this blighter when I thought "straight line". I think the drag let out little more than a half squeak let alone a scream before this thing ran around the back of the boat fast enough to pull a belly into what little bit of line he took with a rooster tail coming off it as it sliced through the surface.I attempted to plunge the rod tip over the side to get the line below the boat but before I had any chance to react I was standing there with about 10 feet of limp braid blowing in the breeze, scratching my head in bewilderment.

From there we spun up a couple of the little tuna and released them and then tucked our tails between our legs and ran home in attempt to beat the howling south easter that was on its way.

Oh, the answer to the trivia question - I reckon if I said 2 seconds I would be borderline exaggerating.

Re: Trivia for Today

Mate - shoulda tightened up the drag and reefed him over the rail before he knew what was going on

A good read - thanks for sharing.

Yes I might seem unsporting using big reels min 100lb braid but with the fuel burn I like to take home a feed
    Cheers

Trev