Thread: FG knot - too good to use.

FG knot - too good to use.

Began using FG knots last week and had to stop using them while using livies for jack/cod/fingermark. Turns out the knot is so fine that sinkers can go over the knot when casting but can't go back the other way because of the little leader tag end. Anyone else have this problem?

Re: FG knot - too good to use.

Only if my leader gets too short!

Make it longer will sort it out. 1.5 rod lengths is my usual starting length.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

You can cut the tag pretty short without causing a problem.

Thanks fellas. I can try those things.

Trim the leader tag right in as close as possible to the knot.....they don't slip.
    I use about 1.2 to 1.5m of leader.
    I don't use braid for bait fishing......braid is too supple and can cause problems with sinkers and swivels.
    Only time I will use braid for a bait is when i can fish it entirely unweighted.
    Jack.

You have two options. As Moonlighter suggested, make your leader longer. When whiting fishing my leaders are about 5 metres so the fish can run with the bait a fair bit.

Option 2 is a two swivel rig - one above and one below the sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    You have two options. As Moonlighter suggested, make your leader longer. When whiting fishing my leaders are about 5 metres so the fish can run with the bait a fair bit.

Option 2 is a two swivel rig - one above and one below the sinker.
    Tried the 2 swivels and it works of course but I'm too lazy to do it.
    Longer leader may be the go or I might just go back to the improved albright which I can tie in about 20 secs. Thanks.

I've used the FG knot regularly especially if I prepare it on shore, I've found it a little bit more difficult to do on the water. Recently I've found that when the line has been caught around the rod or reel (inattention to what I was doing) the knot has failed and it is rather odd. When I flick for flatties I use 6 lb nano line, 8 lb leader, the odd thing is that the leader has broken with the sudden jerk on casting, the twists in the nano braid were still there and a part of the leader that was still intact was the half hitches at the end of the knot(totally opposite to what I expected). I also finish my knots with some half hitches of the braid/main line, I just found it more secure.
    I was at the doctors recently and as reading an article, should have taken a photo of the magazine (publication of fishing places in northern Australia) there was a test on line knots, mono to mono, mono to braid etc tested using the right equipment and from memory the FG knot came in second place between mono and braid at something like high seventy percentage. I need to go back and find the article as it was quite eye opening. The one thing I did learn though from my experience was that the twists/turns have to be very tight.
    If I can locate the article I will post it as it was very revealing of some popular knot strengths.

I find that getting a FG right in really light line classes is a bit painful. I tend to use a slim beauty until I hit around 20Lb braid / 30Lb leader. Once the figure of 8 in the slim beauty starts to get big enough I can feel it rattle through the guides.

The knot I tie is actually the GT knot. I gather some people call it the sebille knot or the FG. There do seem to be several ways to tie this knot that basically produce the same knot.

Anyway I do recall that the guy whose method I follow saying that it tested at great than either the line or leader it is tied in.

I tie it in lines of all strength, from 6lb braid and leader all the way up to 80lb braid with 100lb leader. Been using it for about 5 years now i think.

I have never broken the line at the knot itself.

I will find the video of the way that i learnt to tie it. I find that method pretty easy to do, can do it out on the boat in a couple of minutes most times, if it isnt too windy.

Edit: here is the method I use:

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....