Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Sharks in Moreton Bay

Re: Large Sharks in Moreton Bay

Sharks are seasonal and cyclic.
    Different times of the year will see different species and different locations and habits.
    Every November for the past dozen years there has been a largish tiger shark come into the Redcliffe waters. He is about 4m long and patiently waits to prune a snapper before moving off.
    Have seen the same shark most seasons in the past dozen years from my kayak.
    This one is placid and will sit under the kayak for 10 minutes close enough to reach down and touch it's dorsal fin.
    Generally do not see him later than 40 mins after the sun has broken the horizon.

Most others I come across are generally whalers or bullies or leopard sharks up to about 1.5m.

Sharks do not worry me, i like seeing them.
    If I get eaten that's ok, it is nature.
    Jack.

Might have to retire the kids tow toy!

Brent you would be safer in clear water near Tangas not in open dirty water and not near shipping channels. Never a guarantee but I would feel safe near Tangas and at risk most other places

I reckon a ski is as safe as a kayak - only needs one cranky critter and your a meal
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Brent you would be safer in clear water near Tangas not in open dirty water and not near shipping channels. Never a guarantee but I would feel safe near Tangas and at risk most other places

I reckon a ski is as safe as a kayak - only needs one cranky critter and your a meal
    Have heard of one story of a young girl getting onto a ski to paddle to the beach at Tangas only to be shadowed by what the bloke thought was a big tiger that swam out from under the yacht she got off. He didn't know whether to shout and warn her just in case she panicked and fell off. All ended well apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Biggest tiger, hammer and bronzie I've ever seen have been just near tangas.. shark spit down further is called that for a reason. But your right, the clearer waters are a safer option and the swarm of tourists splashing closer to the wrecks would be an easier meal.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Has there been any known shark attacks in the bay/rivers ? - The ones I can remember were on beaches.
    Don't want to try my luck with cranky critters in any case !

Yes theres been many attacks in the brissy river by bull sharks,mud island was a known big shark area and when the whaleing station was at tangalooma the big sharks were plentiful.

The shipping channel off Tangas does scare me but staying within the shallows near the beach 50-100m looks reasonable - nothing in life is guaranteed but I would target clear shallow water and others using water as a safer option than murky or deeper water.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo BNE View Post
    Has there been any known shark attacks in the bay/rivers ? - The ones I can remember were on beaches.
    Don't want to try my luck with cranky critters in any case !
    Theres been a couple of hits at Amity in the last 10 years. The girl died.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

I think they have signs up at waters edge at Amity near the shop - that is a sharky looking place - deep fast water very close to small steep sandy shore - dardum dardum
    Cheers

Trev