Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furuno 585

Re: Furuno 585

No joy since this thread Almako?

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showpost.php?p=1585996

It's funny how some boats (& motors?) work well with some sounders but not with others.

I have plenty of mates with 685's with a 600W thru hull( thru the plank) and they work great at all speeds. One of them has had two 625's previously and it has been great too. The have all been 585 sounders with bronze airmar t/d's.
    Cheers
    Brendon

I will say the same Amako, every post I read, Scottar pretty much has a solution or a very well informed opinion. I had my TM 260 transome mount installed from a bloke that works at north side marine. He does a bit from home and the day I water tested my boat it read at 40knots, in a choppy sea 20-25knots is not a problem. I know it's a different set up, but this bloke was good at his job and may be worth talking to. Give Sam a call at performance plate boats to get in contact if your interested. It may even be worth a chat as he must see the lot!

yeah no joy mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    Hey Scottar, firstly I value your opinion as I have read many of your posts on similar topics.

Though I was one of the guys that actually agreed to the swiss cheese treatment, which is why I have three transducers on board and a few extra holes in the transom (that have been professionally filled by Trymax), and many dollars down the drain without success. So if I sound disappointed well would't you be. I have spoken to BC on many occasions and had him on board a couple of times as well, he also has issues but just puts up with it which is kind of what I am doing as well. With regards to my comments on Trymax/Cruisecraft I would have thought that by now after so many years of producing the same old boat/motor package that when someone installs a sounder they would know exactly what the set up of prop/sounder location should be. Trymax do a great job and have a huge amount of experience in their field but they weren't able to help me. I will continue on occasions to try and work it out but a trial and error basis is for the wealthy which I am not.
    Definitely have the right to be disappointed but facts are sometimes it just isn't that simple. I have seen some ridiculous things cause sounder interference over the years - you just have to keep hunting until you find a fix. The 17C in my previous post was a classic case in point - 3 different sounders, 4 different transducers and ultimately a solution so far "outside the box" that initially I didn't even think it would work as well as it has. I have my own personal ideas as to a potential fix for the Cruisey but they are far removed from traditional transducer placement and require some surgery. From a commercial stand point it is not something anyone would recommend because as with all transducer installations - there is the potential for it not to work. Where are you in Brisbane - happy to catch up at some stage for a chat and a quick look if you aren't too far away - shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Mckanah have you tried it on both 50 & 200 frequencies?

The 200 is only a 12 degree beam which you could easily go past with way more than 6 degrees of bow lift climbing out of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    So Almako, are you going to volunteer you $100 000 dollar rig for the swiss cheese treatment so someone like Trymax can experiment to find a solution because that is what it comes down too - not to mention someone paying for their time because if you put the sounder in a different rig that doesn't generate the noise it will work fine. During my time at Trymax I mentioned the results of my limited trials to quite a few 625 owners that had the same issue. Strangely enough when the words cut, hole and try got mentioned in the same sentence they all decided it was better done with someone else's boat. If you have a perfect picture in the bay, it's most likely not waterflow - that doesn't change relative to depth. At a guess without laying my hands on it, I will go with propeller/engine noise - same as my BIL's 625 with the HPDI on the FF50. Installing a second transducer and switch to allow easy change over allowed crystal clear pictures up to 3000 rpm in 150 metres but any more than that with the revs the transducer would lift out of the water.

The only other thing you could try would be a different prop if you can borrow one but once again this falls under the heading of an experiment.
    Scottar, how does engine noise etc change readings when the water depth changes? Why would engine noise have a greater effect at greater depth? Not doubting what you say, just curious about the reason. I have only owned two sounders and won't be likely to get the experience with various units that you have.

Couple of things come into it. First is that until you turn the gain up to the higher level required to make the sounder work in deeper water, the unit is not running at a level sensitive enough to pick up the engine noise. The second is in the sounders programming and is usually known as STC (sensitivity time control) or in the Furuno units TVG. (time varied gain). Both of these controls attenuate signals closest to the surface the heaviest and have a diminishing effect as depth increases in an effort to make the picture clear through the entire water column. If the depth goes past the point where the setting of these controls has a great enough effect and the gain is up sufficiently high you will get noise. It can be a balancing act though - turn them up too much and you kill fish echoes as well.