Thread: Frustrating trip to 1770

Frustrating trip to 1770

First up, I'm going to say, the trip to 1770 this week was great. Awesome weather, excellent company and of course the privilege of visiting paradise. But the fishing was tough! Man, we saw soooo many fish, but getting them to bite was another matter! The barometer was very low (1005-1008) and I think that was not helping.
    I know most guys that go to 1770 are chasing bottom fish and reefies, but I like to mostly fish with lures and catch sportfish. So we targeted the wrecks that range from south of Round Hill to up around Fitzroy. We also spent an afternoon trolling skirts and hard bodies around Stuart's Shoal on the outside of Musgrave. This is a fairly standard routine for my trips. This trip, the wrecks and Stuart's shoal was LOADED with fish! On the wrecks, schools of fish would follow lures right to the boat. On the Karma, there were big schoolies of Trevdlly just milling around on the surface! Most were smallish, but we saw plenty of big bruisers too. It was insane the amount of life on them! We did hook some fish, and landed a few, but we lost heaps to sharks, bite offs or reefed back in the wrecks. Very frustrating when you can physically see the fish!!
    Stuarts shoal was similarly tough. I have never seen so many birds chasing bust ups! There wa crazy action all over the place, but we trolled a variety of offerings for 2-3 hrs and only scored a Wahoo and 2 Spanish. We should have filled the boat!!
    The Musgrave lagoon was beautiful on Wednesday night and I did score a solid Spangled on sunset to at least put something colourful in the box.
    So, a great trip, plenty of lessons learned for next time, but I can't believe how shut down the bite was!! Arghh!
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	111990   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	111989   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	111988   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	111987   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	111986  

fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: Frustrating trip to 1770

Didn't that guy with the mo get attacked while he was sleeping and do you still own the feather suit with claws?

Shh, don't mention the bird!!!

sounds tough mate did you try any jigging to fire them up? cheers for the read.
    i am heading up thursday morning and doing the same staying at fitzroy thurs and musgrave fri i hope the bite gets better
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    sounds tough mate did you try any jigging to fire them up? cheers for the read.
    i am heading up thursday morning and doing the same staying at fitzroy thurs and musgrave fri i hope the bite gets better
    Did we jig?? Haha, we jigged our arses off!! We tried jigs (big small and medium, all colours) plastics, minnows, stickbaits and poppers. W certainly hooked a fair few fish, but got sharked several times and numerous mysterious snip offs above even the leader knot. Holy shit we went through some gear! Haha
    good luck next week! I hope you get as good as weather as we did.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	111991  

Sounds like you could have done with some mullet and perhaps a Seafarer!

Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post
    Sounds like you could have done with some mullet and perhaps a Seafarer!
    ONLY if it was from the hand of Lord Fry.

Those trips happen unfortunately.
    Just got to keep moving and hopefully pluck the odd fish from every stop.
    Least you got out and got to enjoy paradise
    Great report.

The weather looks awesome I hope it's that good thanks and I'll send you that Jurassic jigging mark
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Sounds great, thanks!!