Thread: 2Nd hand Suzuki

2Nd hand Suzuki

Hi guys. I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand Suzuki 150hp. The engine is from a police boat and has a 1000hours on it but only a 2013 model.
    Just wondering if people think there could be any real dramas with this engine.
    My main concern is that it appears the engine has been sitting in a engine crate for possibly 12months.
    Any comments are appreciated thanks.

Re: 2Nd hand Suzuki

Should be OK, but probably never been flushed in its life, but services should have been done, being ex Gov, they usually do stuff like that!

Thanks, good point.
    Really need a mechanic to give it a once over before I buy.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The condition of the internal anodes should tell a lot.

Yeh, I would get it checked over by a marine mechanic before throwing down any hard earned on it..

What you have to watch with ex gov stuff from police, rescue boats etc is they are usually (not always) sitting in salt water 24/7 without being flushed or hosed down/cleaned so susceptible to corrosion both externally and internally..

Also given that they are used some of the time in emergency situations, they don't get the usual pleasantries of a warm up before the throttle is put to hammer down under those circumstances..

How much effect this has on the overall longevity of the motor I don't know but can't see it doing them a great deal of good that's for sure..

Thanks guys. I have been advised by a marine mechanic to keep looking for a second hand outboard.

i would personally suck it up, and get brand new one and save yourself the hassle and warranty ... i got mates in water police.. and trust me when i say.. they dont take it easy on there motors... they floor it like no tomorrow with the unlimited funding they get if you get my picture... never have i seen a police boat off water so expect to replace part here n there

i normally based it on math below, some may see it different
    brand new 150hp avg sit at $18000
    every hr reduce value by 7.20$ based on 2500 hr by the time you hit 2500 all value would of been depleted

Not exactly sure I see your reasoning there.

Buying second hand has been ok for me, but I knew the history. So important
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Buying second hand has been ok for me, but I knew the history. So important
    Same here went to but a new one but a near new came up.

What are your thoughts on using a jacking plate to raise a transom from 20 to 25inch.

Know a guy here who bought and cop boat 140 Suzuki with 1,500+ hours on it. Can't remember the actual figure but may well have been 2.500 and he has had an awesome run out of it. Got it super cheap and would have had to have put 500-1,000 hours on it himself. Depends on the price. I'd gamble on it. Talking to a mate today who has a Suzuki 150 and does his own servicing with over 1,000 hours and he has had no internal anodes need doing at all. Tiny bit of pitting but near 99% meat left.

idk about jacking plate but to me that just increasing more weight to the transom but seem like just a more expensive version of permatrim

Jacking plates and a Permatrim have nothing in common, you can buy (or make) fixed jack plates that are very light and made just for this purpose, you can make your own out of a piece of thick Aluminium plate if you have some basic tools, and your existing transom is good.