Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Chainsaw which one for camping?

Re: New Chainsaw which one for camping?

Shindaiwa, Echo, Tanaka in the smaller saws. Japan made. Stihl and Husky in the bigger saws, approx.60cc and bigger. We fix hundreds of saws a year at our shop and that's what we think. Steer clear of any Chinese made. Oleo mac are good too, made in Italy.

My father has a 35 year old 65cc Husky XP that was used multiple times per week each week cutting hardwood. Replaced the ignition module about 2 years ago and otherwise the odd spark plug and chain and bar...

I have a Husky 350. About 45cc and 7 years old. Swear by it. I was sold on it over Stihl due to better vibration dampening but by now the Germans would have sorted that I expect.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
    What you're cutting will determine what size saw you need. For just general firewood cutting something like a Stihl MS250 will do the job. I use an Stihl MS260 Pro for cutting Gidgee when camping out West, and around the home/garden I use a Stihl MS170 which are accassionally on special for $299.
    Oh, another thing. Dont be tempted to buy an older secondhand saw, even if it's in perfect condition. Modern saws are 25% lighter than saws made in the 80's and 90's.. I just sold my Stihl 034 and Stihl 029 and cant I believe how much heavier they were to my new MS260