Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chainsaw which one for camping?

New Chainsaw which one for camping?

I'm in the market for a new chainsaw. What is the best brand, size, easy to get parts and problems to look for after a few years of use. I don't want to buy crap. Cheers
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

Re: New Chainsaw which one for camping?

Stihl is the only brand, get a miniboss
    what a sad sad AB

I have a Stihl and a Mcculloch and both are good saws the Mcculloch is a Bunnings job but has a made in china for Husqvarna sticker on it......To tell you the truth the Mcculloch is a slightly bigger saw but has for more grunt than the Stihl and has always been easier to start.......never had an issue with either so in my eyes the Mcculloch wins as it was only $200 compared to $350.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Any of the reputabe brands and you really can't go wrong. The usual Stihl or Husky and not forgetting some of Husky's secondary brands such as Poulon Pro. Don't dismiss Tanaka, Shinny or Echo.

Always replace the chain with quality chain either Oregon or Carlton ( both are the same parent company nowdays ) and really can't go wrong with either.

I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 16" bar.

Any of the above listed brands will always have sufficient spares to back them up and more often than not an aftermarket alternative inc cylinder kits so def not throw aways.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

For the price - I've been pretty impressed with the Victa (18") It's cut a lot of timber ...... I killed my Stihl miniboss but I was asking it to punch above its weight . It boils down to what you want to cut up ...... big logs or just a few branches - We certainly found out that if you do camp roasts - you tend to go through a lot of timber

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have gone the cheaper ones. Went back to Husky. You cannot go wrong. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Yup, get what you pay for. My first chinese saw lasted 3 months before return. Currently run a McCulloch which is generally a good saw but has a couple of foibles. While it sounded like a good idea at the time, the automatic chain tensioning is a giant PITA as the chain continuously comes loose and every so often after running fine for a half hour, it takes forever to restart if I shut it off. Next time will be a Stihl.

We have a $99 ozito at work we use as a climbing saw (green one). The thing is 3 years old and gets used commercially. It was bought as a fill in when a 'proper' shindiawa died on the job.
    I borrow it to go camping all the time - it is tiny and fits in my 4wd drawer with the blade still on. It came with an Oregon chain as well if I remember correctly. It 'slowly' leaks fuel, so tip it out after use, but other than that it has been a real surprise package.
    I doubt it will last as long as my old pro mac, but that thing isn't exactly camping friendly.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

I had a Homelite 245 for over 20 yrs with some really heavy hard work thrown in.
    Went through about 50 chains and 4 bars before i replaced it.
    Oil tank split and couldn't be easily replaced so I retired it.
    Most of it's work was cutting down 60 yr dead tordoned ironbark trees for firewood and clearing the same dead trees off the tracks when they fall. Hard as the hobbs of hell those dead trees, but it handled it as well as any other I had seen.
    Was a real surprise to the the property owner had three of them as well after being a Stihl man all his life.
    Jack.

I'm leaning towards Husqvarna they are offering a 5 year warranty on their saws. The XP range are nice, but I'm sceptical with their auto tune technology. Saying that if you have a problem with the auto tune saws you plug them into a laptop and you have all the info about the saw.
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtoooth View Post
    I'm leaning towards Husqvarna they are offering a 5 year warranty on their saws. The XP range are nice, but I'm sceptical with their auto tune technology. Saying that if you have a problem with the auto tune saws you plug them into a laptop and you have all the info about the saw.
    Mate what doesn't plug into a laptop nowadays............you can proberbly buy ITunes through it.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

I was told by a mower/chainsaw mech that in the smaller sizes the Stihls aren't what they used to be. Apparently the carbies cannot be adjusted anymore.
    Another vote for the Victa's
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I have a little stihl and it rules, go get the victa, I bet you won't be glad you picta victa, they are chinese rubbish these days.
    what a sad sad AB

We use stihls at work nearly on a daily basis to cut solid ghost and spotted gum up to 500mm in diameter. Never have I had a problem with one other than a chain sharpening. Most are the mini boss.

Sent from my lawnmower

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtoooth View Post
    I'm in the market for a new chainsaw. What is the best brand, size, easy to get parts and problems to look for after a few years of use. I don't want to buy crap. Cheers

What you're cutting will determine what size saw you need. For just general firewood cutting something like a Stihl MS250 will do the job. I use an Stihl MS260 Pro for cutting Gidgee when camping out West, and around the home/garden I use a Stihl MS170 which are accassionally on special for $299.