Thread: Bay Mackeral 06/01/2016

Bay Mackeral 06/01/2016

Headed out for a quicky yesterday as I had to get the boat off the trailer to fix a couple of rollers - since it was in the water why not? :-)

Weather was a bit crap early since there was a ESE blowing 15-20 which made drifting hard and resulted in only small fish and happy dolphins - though I could watch them for hours swimming around the boat I admit.

It calmed off about 10.00 and after slow troll around the spoil grounds and Harries (no luck) I headed further north and found the Mackerel were on big time. Quite a few other boats as well but everyone was very well behaved forming loose circles around the feeding schools and everyone got their share.

Was quite amazing to see the amount of Mackerel out there - large schools swimming around the boat easily 200-300 fish. Surface action was easy to spot even without the birds and pretty easy to get amongst it,

Ended up keep 5 fish over 75 - I would say the average size was about 65cms. Lost two to sharks and dropped a couple - need a smaller gaff the gape on mine is too big for these guys.

Big call out to Bumpa Bar Lures as well - these are like a slug but have a bend in them which gives them a very cool action underwater at even a slow retrieve rate. I reckon I go t more fish because of this and didn't have to wind flat out either. The imparted action really make a difference.

For those looking go to Harrys then go around 2kms north you should be directly east of St Helena Island in about 20m of water. Water temp was about 26.4. More action nearer Moreton Island. Watch the Green Zones.

Small slugs will match the hatch - they were feeding on Hardy Head size fish (20-30 mm long silver)

Re: Bay Mackeral 06/01/2016

Thanks Blair

Great post. Am planning on spending Australia Day in the bay hopefully they hang around.

Thanx for the report Blair. The trebles on those little slugs seem kinda weak to me. I was wondering, do you run a larger treble or single or do the small ones go alright?

Cheers Nic ✌🏻️
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

Bumpa bars are only slugs I use and run them with a gamagatsu single hook designed for use with lures!! Have hardly any cases of dropping fish now because of this as oppose too trebles!!
    good too hear about the macks!

Thanks for the post.

We got 7 nice ones this morning on small Halco twisties.

They were scarce early but as the tide pushed in around 9am, they started to bust up. Not far from Coochie.

Most were nice sized around 80cm.

Might have to go chase some more tomorrow!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Big schools again mate or smaller schools??

Quote Originally Posted by mangrove rat View Post
    Big schools again mate or smaller schools??
    Small schools mostly. Lots of bait around, we just played a patience game most of the time and wait for them to come back to the places they had busted up already.

I reckon it would be worth burleying up and floating pillies out in the areas you found them.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Yeah that might be the go! I haven't fished South of mud but might sneak over in the morning from shorncliffe and have a look around! See how I go
    thanks mate