Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galvanised steel boat trailers - whats the go?

Re: Galvanised steel boat trailers - whats the go?

Tunaticer, does double dipping work as have seen that mentioned a few times and from what you've said if the first coat isn't any good then I imagine the second may not be of any use, also would it compromise the first coat. I didn't take any chances on mine and coated it with XTroll (couldn't get tectyl in any quantity in time) inside and out,a bit messy and took a bit of work but am confident it will last longer.

Not too sure about dipping twice, wouldn't the second dip just melt off the first one (kind of) most modern trailers can have their useful life extended by coating with oil, paint or any of the proprietary products available, why manufacturers continue to use thin walled box section is beyond me, well except for the fact that it is cheap and easy to work with.

Double dipping is common practice for items too large to fit in the bath in one go.......it does not thicken the galvanizing if the duration in the bath is correct. I regularly get double dips on gear to be galvanized for no other reason than to get a coat on all surfaces.

Dipping something twice does not extend the life of the product. The thickness will be the same provided they dip per kg / time in bath. That being said though, you could request a fast second dip to add thickness at the expense of the bond between first and second dips.........you will also pay more than double the price of a good single dip.
    Jack.