Thread: Where to catch a Golden Trevally in Hervey Bay?

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Where to catch a Golden Trevally in Hervey Bay?

Hello there,

My wife and I are staying in Hervey Bay for a week and would love to catch a Golden Trevally. I have a 5.3m centre console with a 90hp and a 115l fuel tank. Been here a couple of days and went as far as about halfway up Fraser Island to 6 mile arch but haven't had much luck. We fished some of the reefs next to Big Woody Island for school Mackerel and some reefies but we would love to tangle with a big golden. We both paid for a full days fishing on a local charter up here last year and both hooked a big golden but we have no idea what reefs or position we were on when we caught them. Well worth the money and it's great to support local business. It's just that I have a boat now and would love to hook one on it.

Just wondering if and locals on here could point me to a golden spot that fishes well?
    Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers
    Nick

image.jpg

Re: Where to catch a Golden Trevally in Hervey Bay?

Hit the areas out front of Wathumba creek, lots of trevally to tangle with there including big tea leafs and golden's!

Try 24 59 716, 153 11 266 or 24 57 602, 153 11 735

Get back on the highway, drive 2 hours North to Bundy and head out to the Kolan Patch. GPS marks are readily available online. Sound around and look for bait. Lots of big goldens out there. This one was 103 cm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about goldens in shallow water around Harvey bay? Think i could dust off the old fly rod just need a place to go.

Thanks heaps for the info guys.. Had a massive day out yesterday playing around with some Mack Tuna and my first Spanish Mackerel 110cm!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now to to try and find a Golden Trevally 😀

Couple of nice fish there well done did you get the spanyid up the island.

Quote Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
    What about goldens in shallow water around Harvey bay? Think i could dust off the old fly rod just need a place to go.
    Plenty of big golden's on the flats all through the sandy straits area..

Try the shallow banks on the inside of Fraser south of Moon point, the back of the picnic islands (be careful there is a green zone on the back side of one of them) and also the shallows on the western side of big woody..

These are all last half of the run in tide or first half of the run out spots as they dry out at low tide..

Of course in this shallow water they are a lot more spooky and harder to catch but can be taken with a bit of patience and persistence, you will see the big shadows cruising through these spots feeding..

Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Couple of nice fish there well done did you get the spanyid up the island.
    Yes we were about 5nm west of Rooney's