Thread: Tin can bay

Tin can bay

I am wanting to plan a weeks fishing trip . Was just going up to double island, but now prob take the tinny , eother camp at inskip or rainbow and fish Tin Can Bay area for something different.
    Whats it like around there,plus can i launch tinnie of beach and head out wider?

I got the 420 quinnie renegarde with 50hp yam 4 stroke.

Just looking for something different.

Might head up to bundaberg afterwards for few days.

cheers
    greg

Re: Tin can bay

If the weather is good enough for you to go outside the gutter will be fine to go out through instead of the bar and easier than beach launching. If you stay at inskip you should be able to use the ramp at bullock point. If you get outside the spotties were just outside the bar a few days ago.

Gday seahorse, we took the boat up to tin can bay in October, some of the ramps are high tide only, the area looked good but our only catch was 2 golden trevally on a shallow section of sandbank, we found in that area that the water dropped off quite deep from the banks, ie 30ft or so, we flicked plastics for a few hours and besides the trevally we caught nothing, but saying that yesterday we were up at tinnanbar landbased just downstream of the boatramp and I was really impressed, I landed 8 flathead in 2 hours as the tide came up and covered the flats, would have been interesting to have the boat there and flick the channels ..

Agree with Shaun. If you want to beach launch at the lagoon at DI, your camping spots are limited as access is either tide restricted or via the inland track which personally I wouldn't tow a box trailer let alone a boat through unless things have changed (has been a few years since I traveled it though) and you will need an access permit for the beach I think?? Really only leaves the Freshwater campground as a base. If it blows your access to protected waters is going to be a hassle.

Personally I would camp at Inskip (not too close to the water ) - gives the best access to all options or at Rainbow if you don't mind a bit more of a drive to launch.

Yeah I was thinking of camping at inskip or stay at the caravan park at rainbow.

Where is the gutter. How far out to any reef area from inskip if a real good day?

Isnt there a good ramp at Carlo point? I remember seeing it couple years ago.

If you launch at the lagoon, how far out to some good fishing grounds?

cheers
    greg

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Yeah I was thinking of camping at inskip or stay at the caravan park at rainbow.

Where is the gutter. How far out to any reef area from inskip if a real good day?

Isnt there a good ramp at Carlo point? I remember seeing it couple years ago.

If you launch at the lagoon, how far out to some good fishing grounds?

cheers
    greg
    The ramp at carlo is good it has been upgraded about two years ago with a pontoon.
    The gutter is a short cut to avoid the bar it follows the beach around about 150m? out from the shore and into the deeper water. There are plenty of spots within ten Km. of the bar. The pinnacles are not far from DI as well as plenty of other reef within ten Km.

This time of year there should be pelagics everywhere as well. Just watch the Grey Nurse Zone around wolf Rock.

G'day Greg. If you decide you are heading up that way, and want a few GPS marks to try, send me a PM. I will hook the GPS into the cat and grab a few marks for you.

I am just at Kippa-Ring so no problems if you want to drop around and see where the spots are in relation to the bar and DI point etc.

cheers

Jeff

The ramp at Tin Can Bay near the coast guard is excellent and from all reports fairly safe to leave car and trailer overnight. I left mine there for 5 nights no problem. You can easily launch a tinnie off the beach at Inskip into Pelican Bay or even from the sand spit at the end. I've done it heaps of times. Sometimes at a low tide you might have to get out and pull the boat through the shallows into the large deep pool near the beach on the calm side of inskip. There are two sticks marking the channel (if you could call it that) when coming into the beach. I've also launched off the beach at Rainbow bay when it was a calm day and went out near Wolf Rock. Lots of pelagics. But access to Raninbow bay is only at low tide due to mudlo rocks claiming lots of vehicles into the ocean at anything less than low tide. I didn't find it that hard to tow my tinnie across from Cooloola section to Rainbow Bay but I had large tires on the boat trailer. I towed that trailer and tinnie all through the soft tracks on the western side of Fraser as well no problem at all with a 100 series Landcruiser. So your options are many but of course a lot depends on the weather. There are also good camping spots perfect for tinnies at Hedleys and Kaurie creek off the Maryborough road via the rainbow beach road. I'm sure you'd get some mud crabs around there. I've never had much success fishing off Inskip but I've caught heaps of crabs both mud and sand. Bear in mind Inskip is heaps crowded and dirty but still a nice spot, you can swim at least. It's a fair run from Tin Can Bay via water to Inskip about 10km. Good luck.

Thanku everyone.
    some really great info there.

much appreciated
    greg

pity I am going to Bundaberg Thursday till sunday to visit daughter inlaw family otherwise I could have tagged along with my boat Greg

Thats a shame rob. U taking ur boat up?
    Think we ate heading to elliott heads after rainbow/tin can bay area for about 4 nights

greg, inskip is the go mate. Every option there for you.
    There are some good reefs to fish inside fraser also only few minutes drive from bullock pt ramp in your tub
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.