Thread: TM260 stopped working, is there a simpletest

TM260 stopped working, is there a simpletest

So my recently fitted TM260 has stopped functioning correctly. Have tried it on both head units, the original tranny works fine on both head units. TM260 allows head unit to think there is a tranny, gives temp but not depth.

Is there a test I can run with a multi meter to determine if it is dead? About to crawl under the transom and check the plug, but I locked it in with heatshrink, so sceptical that it will be that connection. Will have to pull it apart to do continuity test on ext cable. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Re: TM260 stopped working, is there a simpletest

Check the join first to eliminate water intrusion/corrosion. You can use the multimeter to check the cable to the join but transducers can be a bit tricky. A lot of the smaller transducers read open circuit when they are ok so a multimeter test is never conclusive. Once you have checked the join, plug it all back together if it looks ok and turn the sounder on - when you put your ear to the transducer you should be able to hear it clicking. By turning the gain up and rubbing the face of the transducer you should be able to generate noise on the sounder screen or even bounce an echo off a hard surface if the angles are right.

Is it clicking and pinging when it is plugged in like it's functioning?
    I have a TM260 for a Garmin for sale if yours is faulty

Quote Originally Posted by neil_stessco View Post
    No, will check the cable and see if I can find somewhere to check the unit before I replace it. Thanks for the heads up though, I will PM you if replace is the option.

Have tested as best I can without either another one or some fancy test equipment, it appears to be dead. PM Sent about your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by neil_stessco View Post

I had a TM 260 on a slide mount die on a trip. Temp but nothing else. I took it to Trymax & they put it in the test tank using my 585 head unit & another 585 head unit. It was stuffed. A new 260 was checked on my 585 head. All was good again...................... wallet was not happy though.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3 View Post
    I had a TM 260 on a slide mount die on a trip. Temp but nothing else. I took it to Trymax & they put it in the test tank using my 585 head unit & another 585 head unit. It was stuffed. A new 260 was checked on my 585 head. All was good again...................... wallet was not happy though.
    Exactly the symptoms, and yeah the pocket is going to complain. Tested on 2 identical head units that work fine with the original transducer and both have previously worked with the TM260. But the standard tranny doesn't deliver the same result, so a belated xmas present it must be.

Hence trying to get hold of Neil Stessco

Anyone have a phone number for him they could PM me?