Thread: Garmin GMI 20 voltage?

Garmin GMI 20 voltage?

My GMI 20 voltage reading for my battery has stopped working all of a sudden. It was working fine since new. Your thoughts possible cause? Appreciate any help.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451359366.082078.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

Re: Garmin GMI 20 voltage?

Not sure whether it will be sensing the voltage itself or simply receiving the data from a "sensor" (ECU or GPS unit on the same network). Is everything else turned on - GPS speed is reading dashes as well. Also has it always been "battery voltage" or was it possibly "engine voltage"

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Not sure whether it will be sensing the voltage itself or simply receiving the data from a "sensor" (ECU or GPS unit on the same network). Is everything else turned on - GPS speed is reading dashes as well. Also has it always been "battery voltage" or was it possibly "engine voltage"
    I went out yesterday everything was working fine GPS all good except battery showing on the GMI display. The voltage reads from the battery. Even with everything on and running still shows no voltage. I thought I'd ask first before I go through the harness and look for a problem, disconnect battery, reconnect, fuses, ect.

" I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

If it's installed as per the Garmin online instructions there is only one power connection via the NMEA2000 backbone - which is obviously ok as it powers up. If indeed it does then supply it's own data on voltage (manuals are very vague on this), then it has a bee in it's brain and needs a reset or is faulty. Just out of interest - does the other GMI20 display voltage if you program it to do so.

I did try the other GMI panel and it didn't show voltage on it either. The backbone is reading information from the Suzuki df90a RPM, fuel flow, ect. About 3 weeks ago Suzuki fixed the genuine warning panel, it didn't work from day one. I found out accidentally when my next door neighbor flushed his new Suzuki DF140 the warning panel illuminates when the ignition is on, so I was on the dog and bone telling my dealer my warning panel is not working. I think they might have done something to the harness for it not to read voltage. Everyone who has NMEA2000 working backbone has battery voltage at their hand or on their pages if they have 2 GMI's. I'll have a chat with Garmin and see what they think. Thanks and Cheers

I would have a quick look through your set up menu to see if there is anything like "data source" - could simply be a setting they have somehow reset or changed. Either that or the sensing is done via some other wiring (the NMEA0183) harness that has been disturbed that is not outlined in the standard install paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I would have a quick look through your set up menu to see if there is anything like "data source" - could simply be a setting they have somehow reset or changed. Either that or the sensing is done via some other wiring (the NMEA0183) harness that has been disturbed that is not outlined in the standard install paperwork
    Thanks for the info Scottar. I tried what you said, I went through the menu= profiles= Reset Defaults, then I selected my own pages again and my voltage was back again. I don't know what or why I lost voltage on my screen. About a month ago I when to Garmin and I purchased the latest software update for the echomap 751, which updates software or fixes software bugs for the GMI 20 's as well, via the NMEA 2000 backbone. So everything is normal again. Maybe it had something to do with the updates. CheersImageUploadedByTapatalk1451448222.783089.jpg

It is a different parameter - engine voltage, not battery voltage - same result though. Comes back to my first post - from Garmin's literature, the display is described as simply a data repeater - it can't or doesn't measure anything itself - simply repeats any information sent to it from "sensors" (your ECU and anything else on the backbone). They may have simply selected the wrong voltage to be displayed when they were messing about doing the fix for the warning panel. At any rate - sorted. All good.