Thread: First Marlin - Solo- Cape Moreton

Ausfish Silver Member

First Marlin - Solo- Cape Moreton

Kicked off from Scarborough ramp around 0300 with the plan of doing a bit trolling around the Cape and surrounds. Not many out at that time judging from the ramp carpark. Going solo.

Trolled around Hutchies and wider for not a sniff. Surface water temp- early 25 C

Progreseds towards the Cape. Water temp 26.4 C. First strike on a lumo skirt, ( hmm might be called a prowler from an Gold Coast Tackle internet supplier)- re rigged with a dojo light hook / 150 lb leader-It was position a few metres behind the bird teaser - south east Flinders. A little marlin going absolutely ballistic out the back- unfortunately by the time I cleared the other line / teaser) he had gained his freedom. Arrgh well - certainly a good sight.

Short time later further south and the same lure goes off. Reel screaming. A little bit of intense activity saw everything in and hooked up on the fish. They certainly go off

Fifteen minutes I guess and beside the boat- de hooked beside the boat. Hooked popped easily. Bit of swimming and released to fight another day.

I have had a few encounters before- some very close but count this one as my first- hands on bill/ dehooked so was pretty chuffed- two strikes - one fish.

Nothing else so while no dinner for the family still a great day. Great run home across a smooth bay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marlinres.PNG 
Views:	208 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	111882

Seasons greeting to all

Cheers,

Lew

Re: First Marlin - Solo- Cape Moreton

Great stuff

Great work Lew. You gotta be in it to win it mate.

Well done Lew and thanks for posting. Marlin fishing is very addictive - I bet that won't be your last

Well done. Good to hear there are a couple being caught.

Well done on the solo capture. That was dinner right in your hands mate!

Well done Lew,

We were out there as well on Sunday and started at the trench up to Hutchies around flinders and back though the trench to the wild Banks. Ended up with 4 spotties and one yellow fin tuna, That elusive Marlin is still out there for me and it looks like we should have keep going towards the Cape. Ah well that's fishing. Well done for getting one solo.

Goona

Ausfish Silver Member

Thanks guys.

I hear you Jeremy- I have been reviewing skirts, leaders /rig, hook sharpening and dreaming since. . Both fish certainly put on a show.

Goona, I also trolled around Hutchies but it was not till I past Flinders till I got some action. I notice the water temp was slightly up a around the Cape compared to Hutchies- not sure if that was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Thanks guys.

I hear you Jeremy- I have been reviewing skirts, leaders /rig, hook sharpening and dreaming since. . Both fish certainly put on a show.

Goona, I also trolled around Hutchies but it was not till I past Flinders till I got some action. I notice the water temp was slightly up a around the Cape compared to Hutchies- not sure if that was a factor.
    Id say it was the water temp. I don't have temp on my sounder but if it gets results then it might be a good investment

Top work solo, still on my bucket list.....pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk