Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24v charger

24v charger

Looking to see what 240v chargers are used to charge a 24v system for an electric motor.

Local motorguide dealer said to grab a 24v charger. Unplug the bow mount, plug in (suitable plug on charger) charger and it will charge both batteries no dramas. Sounds good.

Not interested in having an onboard charger as I highly doubt I'll run them low while on the water, but will keep them on float between trips.

I've found these at Supercheap auto and ebay: Matson 6/12/24v charger

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Matson-6-12-24V-Infinite-Charger-IR61224.aspx?pid=SPO515707#Recommendations

Re: 24v charger

hazza

Check out the range of chargers here http://store.rvtek.com.au/ and the prices. Mike will also change fittings eg fit anderson plugs so you can change the ends to connect as required.

He posts stuff out and warranty on some is for 5 yrs
    Like this http://store.rvtek.com.au/ctek-mxt-1...-charger-for-t or

cheaper for less amp http://store.rvtek.com.au/ctek-mxt-4...-4.0-amp-smart

Cheers
    Chimo

Not sure about that one from super cheap but can vouch for this one from them
    http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations
    have had it for over 10 years and used on all volt settings 24/12/6 at different times. Very reliable unit.

I use a min Kota dual bank charger for twin 12v setups. If your 24 setup is made up of series-connected 12v batteries you are better off charging each battery individually rather than a series 24v charger as each battery may be in different condition. The Minnkota charger has fully floating outputs so both batteries can be charged independently even when still series-connected. It's also waterproof so you can mount it in the boat permanently should you wish.

Cheers

I looked at a 24v charger for some time. Eventually I just connected my batteries together with Anderson plugs, and when they require charging I just disconnect them and use a 12v charger.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

hazza

If you do decide to go with a 12 v charger, which is probably the way to go, check out the M300 Ctek at rvtek. It has a 5 yr warranty and you get a second .8 watt charger with it. Set up with anderson plug its really flexible.

you can get the matson 7 stage one for 194 bucks with free postage on ebay. If both your batterys are new and identical size/brand 24v charger will be ok otherwise seperate chargers. anderson plug on chargers is a good idea as it prevents the possibility of incorrect polarity connection.
    cheers
    ray

Thanks fellas. Some good pointers and things to consider. Was hoping to avoid having to charge them separately as they'll be at the bottom of the centre console (under a shelf) and a PITA to keep getting to - as well as remembering to charge both constantly. I'm still to buy the Motorguide and the 2 batteries, so they'll be identical batts from the start. However, I suppose if I put 2 hatches in the front of the console (one above top shelf for electronics access, and one under for battery access) a dual output charger like your Minn Kota one, swof63, might be a good idea - except I'm going Motorguide, so no Minn Kota branding hehehe The batteries can still be connected in series while charging each battery?
    odieman50 - had looked at that one on supercheap, it's good to hear you've had no worries with it - no doubt many other people have too - the one review wasn't too great - but that's the internet for you - 99% happy people don't bother posting their good reviews.
    Will look into the ctek 24v charger - they're a well respected charger. But double the price of the Matson (for the 14amp; I'd imagine the 4amp would be too slow if trying to recharge 2 x 100-110ah batteries and wanted to get out the next day). Rayken, I have it in 'watching' on ebay and saw it come down from $230 to $195. Supercheap is 20% off, so $275 becomes $220.

Quote Originally Posted by hazza80 View Post
    The batteries can still be connected in series while charging each battery?
    Only if the negative and positive from each charging output is isolated electrically - if not you will let the magic smoke out of something (possibly even the whole boat ) and it will all end in tears. The multi bank chargers I have seen (haven't used the MK though) have all had a common negative and as such would be unsuitable without separating the batteries. If you don't wish to do this I would stick with a 24 volt unit. The other options are one of the automated charging switches / isolaters or a manual switch set up to allow 12 volt charging from either the boat or a charger but both options add cost. If you do go with a 12 volt unit it will need double the output of the 24 volt unit to charge the batteries to full in the same amount of time

Alright, I'll probably rule out the 12v system... I use it enough on other batteries around the place anyhow. Was hoping the 24v would be real simple. Simply unplug motorguide (anderson or MG plugs), plug in 24v charger (with same anderson or MG plug), done. Can it be that simple?

With a 24 volt charger it is that simple. It only gets "complicated" if you want to use a 12 volt charger. I wouldn't be overly concerned about batteries charging at different rates etc. 24 volt house banks have been around for an awfully long time on bigger boats without any special charging set ups. As previously mentioned though - if you change one battery, change them both - not one new, one old.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Only if the negative and positive from each charging output is isolated electrically - if not you will let the magic smoke out of something (possibly even the whole boat ) and it will all end in tears. The multi bank chargers I have seen (haven't used the MK though) have all had a common negative and as such would be unsuitable without separating the batteries.
    The minnkota does have isolated, fully floating outputs so is fine to connect both charge outputs to series connected batteries as there is no common negative/earth. The minnkota I have is a few years old now but can't see a reason they would have changed it, it is designed intentionally because people have 24v minnkota setups using series connected batteries often in difficult spots so needs a means to charge. Electronically it's not that hard to make. They also do a 36v triple as well.

Cheers

Thanks guys, very helpful.

Supercheap's 20% off must've only been for yesterday. Jumped on ebay and got the Matson 24v for $194 - guys on holidays till 11 Jan - so should come after that.

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    The minnkota does have isolated, fully floating outputs so is fine to connect both charge outputs to series connected batteries as there is no common negative/earth. The minnkota I have is a few years old now but can't see a reason they would have changed it, it is designed intentionally because people have 24v minnkota setups using series connected batteries often in difficult spots so needs a means to charge. Electronically it's not that hard to make. They also do a 36v triple as well.

Cheers
    Just a +1 vote for the Minn Kota setup. Mine is still going strong at 8 years old and has always been mounted on the boat.

Cheers Moth... may look into it down the track