Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24v charger

Re: 24v charger

Sorry to chime in at this late stage.

I have a 24v motorguide with the two batteries bolted into the boat and have connected them via a 3 pole/3 way switch. I can have them disconnected, in series (24 v) connected to the motor, or in parallel for when they are being charged and optionally (via another switch while in 12v mode) connected to the main electrical system for charging via the alternator or as use as the secondary battery overnight (lights, live bait tank) etc.

To charge I usually put the batteries in parallel (via the 3 way switch), and connect them to the starter battery. I have an anderson plug to connect the 20amp 12 charger.
    This way I charge all 3 batteries at once.

If you are interested I can provide more details.

i'm also looking for a charger than can do a 24 volt system (2 x 12 volt batteries) as well as 12 volt starter and house battery. I'm assuming it is difficult to charge all of these from one connection with out some fancy gizmos? The Matson 6/12/24V Infinite Charger, seems like it could do all the above setup albeit with a few plugs/unplugs between the 12 and 24 volt systems is that correct? At $190 ish it seems like a good option.

Cheers

Khunaus

Have you considered running your two battery connector leads up from where the batteries are stored and fitting anderson plugs that you could use, after uncoupling, to connect your 12 volt charger, also fitted with an anderson plug. This would allow the same charger to be connected to the start and house 12 v system maybe even doing the two together if they are matched batteries such as the AC Delco HCM 27 SMFs

Cheeers
    Chimo

Quote Originally Posted by duncan333 View Post
    Sorry to chime in at this late stage.

I have a 24v motorguide with the two batteries bolted into the boat and have connected them via a 3 pole/3 way switch. I can have them disconnected, in series (24 v) connected to the motor, or in parallel for when they are being charged and optionally (via another switch while in 12v mode) connected to the main electrical system for charging via the alternator or as use as the secondary battery overnight (lights, live bait tank) etc.

To charge I usually put the batteries in parallel (via the 3 way switch), and connect them to the starter battery. I have an anderson plug to connect the 20amp 12 charger.
    This way I charge all 3 batteries at once.

If you are interested I can provide more details.
    That sounds like one hell of a system duncan... my deep cycles will be permanently stored (bottom of centre console) in series - I want to keep it very simple - unplug the MG and plug in the charger (already paid for the charger). This will keep the 24v system charged between trips. I've got a dual battery (marine cranks) system with isolators in the rear for the main stuff - and charge them on the 12v smart charger if needed (about 2 weeks if I haven't been out - I alternate them running ie. no 1 on way out, no 2 on way home).

Your system sounds very well organised.

Thanks Chimo... thats the kind of thing i am looking to do.

duncan333 that sounds like a good setup... id be interested in seeing how it was done to see if it is something i could implement.

I ended up buying the Matson 6/12/24V Infinite Charger yesterday from ebay and with their current promo got it for $165 so happy there...

Hey khunaus I’m in the same situation as you, I’m looking at chargers now and trying to decide. Can you shed some light on how your charger has preformed over the last 2 years? Have you still got it was there any issues or has it been amazing?
    Cheers
    brenno.