Thread: Palm beach reef

Palm beach reef

Heading down the coast for a week after xmas. Looking for some general advice about hunting mackrel at palmy? Currumbin creek or seaway? Anchor or drift? Livies or dead bait?

Re: Palm beach reef

I normally drift and float pillies out on gang hooks - normally get a few :-)

Cheers thanks mate.

At that time of year there will probably be that many boats at Palmy that you will have to drop the anchor and hold your ground. You can get a berley trail going to try and get them to come to your boat rather than the next. I did a charter down there recently and a half Pilly on a single hook with a short bit of wire was the go on the Spotties.
    Also try Mermaid Reef, it doesn't get as busy. Just depends where the fish are I suppose.

I've only ever been down there once - it's a bloody zoo when the fish are there. If you don't mind doing the miles I would launch at the seaway as there is always the chance of finding fish on the way down (which you may get without the 500 other boats). I've never launched at Currumbin but everything I have read about the joint in the last couple of seasons was about how shallow it had become. I'd give the local VMR lads a tingle to see what they say.

Cheers guys good advice. That was my assumption re Currumbin creek. Always happy to do a few miles . Much appreciated. Will let you all know how it turns out. Probably something like this. Blowing a Gail, boats everywhere hahaj