Thread: Changing to lures & plastics

Changing to lures & plastics

I have always (for years) fished with bait, never used a lure or plastics.

I fish mainly in waters 20 to 60 meters deep and often around reef areas in search of the old snapper.

I'm keen to fish in different depths and locations and chase other species.

I have been doing a lot of thinking and researching about lure, soft plastic and trolling around the oceans.

I'm now keen to give lures, plastics and trolling a good go.

My question are (and I'm aware it's personal choice)

1. What lures
    2. What plastics
    3. Suggestions on trolling techniques and locations (out of Sydney and South)

I am aware there are very broad questions, but need to start somewhere

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Changing to lures & plastics

Zman plastics and xrap hardbodies work for me.

You will get as many different answers as there are lures available on which ones - any of the "name" brands will catch fish at times - best to talk to your local trusted tackle retailer - and figure out what species you wish to target prior to asking as the answer will be different for each one. As for trolling techniques - once again it does depend what you are chasing but if you are after a few kingies you could do worse than to look into downrigging. Have a look at "The Downrigger Shop" website - some pretty useful info there. We use downriggers up this way for mackerel during summer and the odd trip chasing snapper over winter using predominantly live baits for the mackies or lures for the snaps

Sydney and south hey? One of my most successful Snapper lures down my way is a simple looking thing called a "Slomo" I find fishing them in the rod holder while using something else (even bait) works a treat, caught more 3-5kg Snapper on the Slomo with the rod in the rod holder than any other lure by far, second best is almost any plastic in that red/green colour combo maybe nuclear chicken it's called? The current will kill you right now, it's really strong and hard to fish deeper water.

Have a look on the Gobblers website. That's where i get my plastic's from
    Darren