Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moreton Bay Mackerel

Re: Moreton Bay Mackerel

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    They are still there. Went up near the Hope Light and found birds working yesterday morning and got 2 nice spotties on slugs.

Went back this morning and got 3 more spotties, best went 80cm others were about 72cm so were reasonable fish.

I am finding that sand crabs are not nearly as plentiful this year as last. Had the pots in for 2.5 days, lifted them 4 times, for a grand total of 13 keepable crabs. Each pot however has had 5-10 jennies, and a couple of very small bucks every time we lifted them. Spot near the Naval Reserve banks that is a regular producer for me, but its just not happening there at the moment.

Mate bumped into the local pro crabber at the Cleveland ramp a couple of weeks ago and he said its the worst crab season they have had in many years - crabs are just not in the usual locations. Numbers are well down. So if anyone knows where they have gone, feel free to drop a few hints!

Best of all, this morning I had a mate with me who loves to fish but hasnt had much success. Well today, i put him onto the fish and he spun up a nice spotty mackerel, his words "my best fish ever"! Gee its nice to put someone onto a good fish and see them get it into the boat and hit the high fives in delight! He reckons the sound of the screaming drag is just great! We may have another convert!
    Went out early today, 1 drop = 6 jennies all full of roe.

Couldn't stretch the Snapps and Grassies to make the grade. Ended up with 3 average bream.

Bumpy ride home but the swim at Horseshoe Bay made it a great day.

May the Force be with you

I got out today and ended up with countless schoolies all about 45cm, could not find the bigger fish no matter how hard I tried,l. Still good fun though

If it makes you feel better.
    I went out today, to work