Thread: 4wd recomendations

4wd recomendations

Evening all. In the market for a 4wd suitable for towing the hh585 and some general bush/beach work.

Looking to spend around 6k and just wanted to get some feedback from the site what i should be looking for. Dont have any alliances to makes so its pretty open to anything that is reliable and can preform the job.

If anyone knows of somthing going for around that price drop me a line..
    ...A bad days fishing is always better than a good days working...

Re: 4wd recomendations

Add a zero to that 6 mate.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

80 series landcruiser. If you aren't daily driving it get a 4.5 litre 1fzfe. Loves the juice but will do the job. Early ones are only rated to tow 2.5 tonne

Matt

lol, Dan is sort of right! $60k will cover it. But assuming you are on a budget, you probably want something reliable. I would go a Toyota too.

To tow that amount you would want minimum a Toyota prado, you can find a decent one for 12k that will do it all for you - petrol though!

Yes... pretty slim pickings with my budget.. any thoughts on the gu patrol. 2.8 diesel 2000 model. Wants 7.5k for it might be able to get it a litttle cheaper..
    ...A bad days fishing is always better than a good days working...

What does the hh weigh? Would 2.5 ton be enough? Lots of pajero's in that price range.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Always late in a 2.8.....

It would get you there but would be very slow although I don't think they had the same grenade issue the 3.0 patrol had. If you are towing under 2.5t and want a diesel a pajero might be the easy to go.

Matt

The 2.8 will still go bang - usually because the driver pushed the loud pedal to the floor continuously trying to get somewhere. I have only ever spoken to two 2.8 owners - one was a heavily modded tourer that had gone bang for the above reason. The second couple were towing a van around Australia and bought the GQ variant from a dealer knowing nothing about cars after he told them it was a 4.2. It wouldn't pull the skin off a custard tart with the van behind it. They only had it two weeks until the after the threat of legal action the dealer (with much reluctance) took it back. Couple this with paying 6 cylinder rego for sub 4 cylinder performance and I suspect you are better to keep looking (while saving to increase your scope of purchase).

The is a Pajro around the corner from me for 6 or 7k only thing I know about it it's red, now if you want to spend around 40 I have a very nice 4.2td GU available as I just upgraded
    azza

XPDS

The 4.2 TD GQ or GU Patrol with turbo either aftermarket or in the GU some factory will do fine.

The turboed 4.2 gains some 40% power and torque and is a totally different and better animal without the issues that the the later 3 lt motors have with pollution gear.

With a timer and an oil cooler the turbo 4.2 is rather durable based on 20 something years experience. http://dencodiesel.com/products/turb...em-nissan-td42

If you can find an unturboed GQ in fairly stock condition then add a turbo your will have a rather cheap unit able to legally tow 2.5 tonne and get around 10 l / 100km at 100km /hr on the highway and the same towing if you slow down to between 85 and 90 kms. Go faster and you can double your diesel consumption.

Cheers
    Chimo

Series 1 disco 3.9. 94/95 with distributor elec ignition. Just cant kill the pre Bosch V8. They have a german ZF auto that likewise just goes and goes. They need good shock and rear springs for towing duties. Chew a fair bit of juice but no more than the big 6 cyl petrols or other v8 petrols. Lots were converted to LPG which works well. Give cooling system a good flush, check the clutch fan hub do an oil change and auto service (cheap) if needed and get it out there. As an advantage they are brilliant offroad with their long travel A Arm rear and front live axle trailing arm set up with swivel joints...so no CV's and half shafts to worry about. Yes occasionally a window regulator might let go but it wont strand you. Mine has just under 300,000k on it. My brother had a 94 3.9 with 400,000k. Both original ks.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I paid 5k for my 2004 Nissan X-Trail Petrol i recently towed two different cars one was a Mitsubishi Lancer 2006 model, the second was a Holden Barina 2007 model

the 2.5litre manual 4 cylinder X-Trail towed it like a boss, the lancer broke down on a decent hill on the motorway in sydney i switched from 2WD to "Auto", "Lock" is the 4x4 mode and it climbed the hill and towed it 60km's home itsat on 100kph very easily dropped to i think 70-80kph going up hills

the Lancer is about 2ton including the trailer that is my max towing limiton the tow bar

in a few days i will be towing a Haines Hunter V17C on the car trailer the weight will be up there with the lancer