Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying a new dual cab advise welcomed

Re: Looking at buying a new dual cab advise welcomed

I don't tow anything but I'm putting money on most 4x4s not towing are overweight it's almost impossible not to be.

You are certainly correct to a point Beerhunter. In the modern day of the ARB, TJM etc accessorized vehicle with bigger tyres, roof top tents, extra batteries, fridges, drawers, replacement bar work, long range tanks etc, there would be plenty of fourby's that by the time mum,dad, 2.5 kids and the labrador pile in would be over GVM unless upgrades were done. It has been this way for a few years now - possibly going as far back as the 80 series and GQ's but definitely with 100 series and GU's.

I totally don't understand the problem.
    I tow my rig with one of those Tonka Truck - Mighty Boys.
    Massive tow capacity.
    Attachment 111873Mighty Boy.jpg

Sorry all, couldn't resist.

Merry Xmas all.
    Cheers Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    I totally don't understand the problem.
    I tow my rig with one of those Tonka Truck - Mighty Boys.
    Massive tow capacity.
    Attachment 111873Mighty Boy.jpg

Sorry all, couldn't resist.

Merry Xmas all.
    Cheers Rob.
    Don't laugh. I saw something not too dissimilar at Cleveland one day. In excess of 20 feet of boat behind an old school Daihatsu Scat or whatever the thing was.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    You are certainly correct to a point Beerhunter. In the modern day of the ARB, TJM etc accessorized vehicle with bigger tyres, roof top tents, extra batteries, fridges, drawers, replacement bar work, long range tanks etc, there would be plenty of fourby's that by the time mum,dad, 2.5 kids and the labrador pile in would be over GVM unless upgrades were done. It has been this way for a few years now - possibly going as far back as the 80 series and GQ's but definitely with 100 series and GU's.
    yep my old gu Dual cab is Overweight with the 2 Winches and Bar work let alone the mud in the Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Just had a look at the 130 defender dual cab.
    gvm 3500, tow 3500
    1.6t payload
    I know, and I agree about what they are and what their shortcomings are, but those are some pretty impressive numbers.
    They only talk 250 k.g. ball weight with a reduced gvm though so it will come back to the field a bit.
    I till you go off road, they limit it to 1T towing. Not because the car isn't capable but because Land Rover aren't stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well now really confused after driving a few of them. Over the last week I have driven the Holden Colorado, Amarok, Ford Ranger and Nissan Navara. I have resided to the fact that none of them will comfortably tow 3.5t so looking for a ute that will tow camper and tinnie and keep the Patrol now for the next 3 to 4 years as the big boat tow vehicle and hopefully one of them will step up to the mark and do like say the Navara used to a V6 but tow 3.5T or a new Patrol with a V6 for eg and a 3.5T towing capacity. I was all set on the Amarok and took the girl for the test drive this morning. To my shock as it will be my car she wasn't happy with the Core + model at $42k and wanted the up spec model at $48k. No worries I thought. Better for me as I will be the one driving it. The minister of finance has released her purse strings. On the way home we were going past the ford dealer ship ok lets have a look at the Ranger. I was really impressed. Heaps more grunt and I recon they would tow the 3.5T boat no worries but the girl didn't like it that much. So off to Nissan to check out the new Navara. More punch than the Amarok but less than the Ranger. Felt more nimble coil rear end so smoother drive and best fuel economy out of all of them. The girl loves it as well. Thinking this is the way we will go and in 3 or 4 years she will get this and I will see what comes up in new development and buy a new one then, Happy wife happy life!!!!!

I like the Navara and if not towing 3.5t makes a good choice IMO that coil bum end will make it a whole lot nicer than the back breaking leafs...........Get it.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

So I was all set to proceed with the purchase of the Navara an Colorado throw a deal out there for $44,990 for the LTZ. MMM now I am undecided again as the Colorado I recon would tow the boat fairly well. Ah well got to convince the girl this is the way to go.

Get a 2 tonne truck to tow your boat.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    So I was all set to proceed with the purchase of the Navara an Colorado throw a deal out there for $44,990 for the LTZ. MMM now I am undecided again as the Colorado I recon would tow the boat fairly well. Ah well got to convince the girl this is the way to go.
    The collie never rates highly in the comparison tests (there are several good ones on the net) -

the price is self explanatory IMO for a car that doesn't do anything particularly well ...... just sayin

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Get a 2 tonne truck to tow your boat.
    You need a 6t truck to tow what these Utes tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    The collie never rates highly in the comparison tests (there are several good ones on the net) -

the price is self explanatory IMO for a car that doesn't do anything particularly well ...... just sayin

Chris

I'm with you Naggs. We went and drove the Collie again. No comparison so it is off to Nissan this Friday to strike a deal. Hopefully the dealer is feeling generous with the price of the Navara and the price he is going to give me for the trade.

The leader really seems to be Ranger ....... yuck interior though with the Amarok 2nd

I did like the Amarok too & came close to buying one previously ....

The big question mark is ....... & they never seem to go over them in the comparison tests is the dealer / manufacturers support , build quality etc ....... I got frightened off from the poor record of VW in Australia ( the reputation is pretty crap atm - for quality .... but worst still support)

That said it was still a leap of faith buying the Nissan - a new model

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Take a tip from an old fart (74) that's driven trucks fron 5 to to 250ton . plus Multi's (road trains to you)

You going to tow a genuine 3.5 ton on the road.
    Only 4wd to buy is a Troopie. (76?) Any "ute" for sale in this country is a joke for that weight
    I went from a 3 ltr Patrol manual set up for towing a 3.2 ton caravan.
    did it for 14 yrs never missed a beat but they no good in Auto.
    but 3.5ton is the killer.

Isuzu do a nice small truck as do that other jap but they trucks. the 200 won't do it, suspension and ratings wise with a load in. Neither will the best one (Patrol with chip)

NEVER put any towed load that weighs MORE than your tug behind it.
    You an accident waiting to happen. I've seen more than my fair share in different country's over the 50 odd yrs I've been doing it.
    And don't touch that VW ute till they put an engine under the bonnet and somebody else'
    s electronics.
    There's ain't worth shit.
    But I would have one of their Bentleys to tow my van as long as it's warranty was current chuckle (3.4, 0 to 100)

Actually look at the review/tests on Tojo 200 compared to new petrol V8 Patrol.
    real world figures, they ain't much difference in fuel and the grunt in that Petrol is ball tearing.
    Plus it's a Patrol...