Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying a new dual cab advise welcomed

Re: Looking at buying a new dual cab advise welcomed

In ~July 2013 when I last reviewed all D/cab specs, only the Navara had a GVM derating. (even my 2006 D40 was derated by increased towball mass).

Not sure about any of the current models, might pay to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J View Post
    I just looked at the BT50's yesterday as an alternative to a Ranger.
    The (ex Toyota) Salesman there advised the gearboxes on the BT50 is not the same as the Ranger. He also advised that the Rangers were notorious for having transmission issues, particularly if towing heavier loads (3t+) in hot conditions (30°+). His advice only, not necessarily fact.
    A quick search on line seems to suggest this might be the case, but I find little in relation to the BT50. However nearly every review or test I have seen suggests the BT50 driveline is identical to Rangers??

If any owners of either have any comments in relation to this, that would be appreciated.
    Auto in the BT50 is 100% the same as Ranger. My neighbour owns a BT and last year I assisted him upgrading the transmission pan to a higher capacity version he purchased from US as he wasn't happy with the "sealed for life)" spiel they both advise for the box. The auto is made Nader license from ZF by Ford and designated the 6R80F for four wheel drive units and is used in the F150 and other models globally. Same box is used by the Mustang as well (6R80) in 2wd form.

I ran a an a scanguage on my previous PX S1 Ranger to monitor AT temps and it never alarmed me or went into limp mode etc. Like all autos you need to understand the S mode shift pattern change and t/c lock up to make sure you use them correctly. Plenty of videos on YouTube on the box. It is amazing to read how many people with LC200 don't understand this either (especially the torque converter lock up pattern in S mode)

Worse thing for them is to not change the oil at 80-10(0 thou as particles can effect the solonoid and lead set on early version transmissions. Other than that I have only seen some torque converter drive plate issues on a few Ranger forums I am on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    Auto in the BT50 is 100% the same as Ranger. Like all autos you need to understand the S mode shift pattern change and t/c lock up to make sure you use them correctly.
    Thanks Greg. I was dubious about a few things that sales rep claimed.
    Regarding the comment above, could you elaborate. I have only ever owned manuals my entire life.

Cheers.

If you are keen on the ranger/bt, my Px auto has brake controller etc. if you need to strap the boat to it for a run we could make it happen. Not trying to sell you on them, just understand how difficult it is to get experience when looking.

Edit: Payload could be compromised today - Dan Murphys at the airport have xxxx gold stubbies on for $29 a box!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi

[QUOTE=GBC;1605598]If you are keen on the ranger/bt, my Px auto has brake controller etc. if you need to strap the boat to it for a run we could make it happen. Not trying to sell you on them, just understand how difficult it is to get experience when looking.

Edit: Payload could be compromised today - Dan Murphys at the airport have xxxx gold stubbies on for $29 a box!

Gday GBC I would be real happy to meet with you and put the tub behind your rig. Be happy to buy you a carton as well to see how it goes. Last thing I want to do I shell out $40k + on something that doesn't do the job. If the dual cabs don't do it I will keep the Patrol and get rid of the golf and buy another little buzz box and in three years time give that to the missus and look at what's new on the Market and trade the Patrol then. Who knows Nissan might get there act together and put the V6 into the y61. Now that would be good.
    What type of controller and plug do you have on your rig
    Goona

I have Pm'd you.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Looking at buying a new dual cab advise welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by goona View Post
    I am easy Brendon, Probably Auto would be best with the steep driveway...
    Some more numbers for you Goona regarding spare payload, and based on autos and newer 3.5t rated dual cabs towing 3.5t, with max load on the towball. ~Top spec models used mostly.

Ranger XLT, 52kg kerb mass increase since my 2013 thread re towing. Now has 271kg spare payload capacity. Only one on this list that has towbar included as standard (which most people swap for a Mazda towbar due to hideous departure angle). Mazda one would be lighter too.

Note; this spare payload has to accommodate driver/people, cargo/luggage, options/accessories etc.

Navara ST-X, 300kg on ball, GVM derating, 220kg spare less say 25kg for a towbar = 195kg spare.

D-Max LS-U, use worst case kerb weight 1955kg. Spare payload = 495kg or say approx 470kg with a towbar.

Hilux SR5 manual (auto can only tow 3.2). Assume 350kg on the ball. Spare = 275 say 250kg with towbar.

BT50 kerb mass has only increased 2kg since 2013, all other capacity specs the same. Spare = 395kg less say 25kg = 370kg spare payload.

Haven't looked at the Collie specs.

If you want to option a steel bullbar and a canopy to your truck (I.e. Very common options), probably ~100kg or so combined, the Lux and Nav could only have one person (driver), and the Nav driver would not want to be the average Aussy!
    Cheers
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    Some more numbers for you Goona regarding spare payload, and based on autos and newer 3.5t rated dual cabs towing 3.5t, with max load on the towball. ~Top spec models used mostly.

Ranger XLT, 52kg kerb mass increase since my 2013 thread re towing. Now has 271kg spare payload capacity. Only one on this list that has towbar included as standard (which most people swap for a Mazda towbar due to hideous departure angle). Mazda one would be lighter too.

Note; this spare payload has to accommodate driver/people, cargo/luggage, options/accessories etc.

Navara ST-X, 300kg on ball, GVM derating, 220kg spare less say 25kg for a towbar = 195kg spare.

D-Max LS-U, use worst case kerb weight 1955kg. Spare payload = 495kg or say approx 470kg with a towbar.

Hilux SR5 manual (auto can only tow 3.2). Assume 350kg on the ball. Spare = 275 say 250kg with towbar.

BT50 kerb mass has only increased 2kg since 2013, all other capacity specs the same. Spare = 395kg less say 25kg = 370kg spare payload.

Haven't looked at the Collie specs.

If you want to option a steel bullbar and a canopy to your truck (I.e. Very common options), probably ~100kg or so combined, the Lux and Nav could only have one person (driver), and the Nav driver would not want to be the average Aussy!
    Cheers
    Brendon

The only real one that could do it then and hav the capacity to cary 4 blokes in the car would be the BT50 or the Izuzu. Id be interested what the Collie comes in at as I am thinking of going this way due tot he deals they are running

Before deducting a towbar or other accessories, on paper the collie has 381 kg - will depend on who your mates are - big blokes may need to trot behind till they lose a few kegs

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Before deducting a towbar or other accessories, on paper the collie has 381 kg - will depend on who your mates are - big blokes may need to trot behind till they lose a few kegs
    Yep just looking at the collie web site http://www.holden.com.au/cars/colorado and they have an excellent tow calculator. Did the exercise and as long as we are all sub 95 kgs we can tow the 3500kgs legally. I might have to go on a diet though lol

The numbers are that tight, if you stop for a drink, you'll have to take a leak before you get going again and leave your change in the tips jar. I say it's a government induced initiative to make the fisherman of Australia lose weight LOL.

Arn't we all getting around in overweight cars anyway? I mean my car weighs over 3 tonne every day mostly empty and 3.8 tonne on a trip. its meant to be 2900kg or something. Have an accident and most of the crap falls out anyway. i highly doubt you'd ever get busted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
    Arn't we all getting around in overweight cars anyway? I mean my car weighs over 3 tonne every day mostly empty and 3.8 tonne on a trip. its meant to be 2900kg or something. Have an accident and most of the crap falls out anyway. i highly doubt you'd ever get busted for it.
    Until you do. There have been reports over the years of DOT turning up at ramps to do spot checks with the scales and caravans being unloaded on the side of the road to be allowed to proceed. Urban myth or not - up to you if you want to take the chance I guess let alone dealing with your insurance company if it turns to custard. I know I couldn't afford to replace the car, let alone boat and car without insurance- not to mention if you manage to clean someone up in a big way or worse. Me personally - I am well within weight limits and if I ever need the extra kilos, I will get the cruiser upgraded.

Well there ain't much i can do about it. I can't afford an F truck and it wouldn't get me to where i want to go anyway so I'll just keep rockin on.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Until you do. There have been reports over the years of DOT turning up at ramps to do spot checks with the scales and caravans being unloaded on the side of the road to be allowed to proceed. Urban myth or not - up to you if you want to take the chance I guess let alone dealing with your insurance company if it turns to custard. I know I couldn't afford to replace the car, let alone boat and car without insurance- not to mention if you manage to clean someone up in a big way or worse. Me personally - I am well within weight limits and if I ever need the extra kilos, I will get the cruiser upgraded.
    Not an urban myth scalies and transport quite often in skate board park in Colburn Ave at Victoria point.. Tilt tray operators do ok taking away oversize , unroadworthy and unregistered rigs.
    Plus there is the other side of the penny how would you feel if someone is killed in an accident where you are driving a rig that is borderline.
    Amazes me if you can afford to purchase a van or boat that weighs in at 3.5 t but quibble at purchasing something that can legally tow it.
    Get a decent tow truck or a smaller rig and make the roads safer for others even if you do not care about yourself.
    Cheers
    Ray