Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: re a new lowrance hds 7 gen 2 touch still available ?

Re: re a new lowrance hds 7 gen 2 touch still available ?

[QUOTE=bluefin59;1605071]Once again again your lack of knowledge is outstanding , my Navman was a kiwi ( New Zealand ) manufactured and owned product . Sorry you are so wrong but enough about my knowledge and go have a look at the ch smith web site they may have something like what your after t a price that suits . But I guess your research would have told you that MR Know it all ...bye Matt

Astounding!!!!!!!!

Talon aka Navman were originally a New Zealand company who sold out to the Brunswick Corp who own Mercury and later sold on to Navico.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    Talon aka Navman were originally a New Zealand company who sold out to the Brunswick Corp who own Mercury and later sold on to Navico.
    This is correct. Brunswick primarily purchased Navman so as to further "Smartcraft" but IMO lost interest (and a market advantage) when the rest of the major outboard manufacturers got on board with the emerging NMEA2000 technology. At this point in time they (along with several other manufacturers) sold the Marine side of the business to a Swedish investment company and "Navico" was born. From memory about 12 months or so later, due to either legal proceedings or an agreement with the company that purchased the vehicular side of Navman (can't remember exactly which), Navman Marine ceased to exist as a brand and the product line was rebadged to fall under the Northstar umbrella. Approximately 12 months or so further still, Northstar was wound up as a brand entirely.

The Lowrance gear really has been a bit of an enigma over the years with consumer experiences ranging broadly (as seen from the above posts) from almost a cult following to utter disdain. Personally I have seen both sides of the spectrum. Traditionally, Lowrance and now Navico, does seem to have run at the forefront of emerging technology when it comes to marine electronics. This has at times created outstanding results for the company when they have got it right - unfortunately though it also creates major issues when you don't quite get it right - even more so in the modern age of social media. Moonlighter has also raised a very valid point in his post with market share adding to the number of issues seen over the years. At times the Lowrance / Eagle product has been so far ahead of the pack with features and price, it would have been outselling the combined competition at a ratio of 20:1 or more (not in modern times) and people have long memories when it comes to an unsatisfactory outcome with a purchase.

With the complexity of software in modern MFD style units, combined with increasing interfacing loads and an increasingly crowded market place ( primarily Garmin, Raymarine and Furuno) driving feature enhancement at a quite frenetic pace, it is more or less inevitable that these products are going to have issues. This is not something that Lowrance have on their own - every company mentioned in this thread - past and present - has or had issues with particular product lines. Market forces dictate that in the modern world of electronics, more and more the consumer plays a very active role in "debugging" electronic equipment. Unfortunately due to it's complexity this can be seen to take an unacceptable amount of time in some circumstances and the process of fixing one bug is very likely to create another. Unfortunately sometimes the faults are hardware related as well - not so easily fixed.

As for service - from an industry perspective, they can all be difficult to deal with at times - more so when they can't put their finger on a fault. The down side for Navico on this one is that their factory personnel (traditionally at least) does not include trained electronic repair tradesman and their "technicians" are quite often just as much "in the dark" as the end user when it comes to faults. With no parts available due to repair by replacement being a company policy (at least it was the case when I was dealing with them) , it can be a frustrating process when a unit has an intermittent fault (not uncommon) and won't play up for the "repair" guy.

[QUOTE=One more drop;1605072]
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Once again again your lack of knowledge is outstanding , my Navman was a kiwi ( New Zealand ) manufactured and owned product . Sorry you are so wrong but enough about my knowledge and go have a look at the ch smith web site they may have something like what your after t a price that suits . But I guess your research would have told you that MR Know it all ...bye Matt

Astounding!!!!!!!!
    No outstanding as in you stand out for not knowing the facts a bit like a budgie amongst the crows .. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Once again again your lack of knowledge is outstanding , my Navman was a kiwi ( New Zealand ) manufactured and owned product . Sorry you are so wrong but enough about my knowledge and go have a look at the ch smith web site they may have something like what your after t a price that suits . But I guess your research would have told you that MR Know it all ...bye Matt

well now i hope its not me your calling a MR know it all allthough according to my children (now 30 yr old child adults) i do know everything of course - and yes i found one last new unit gen 2 touch available on the ch smith site and purchased it and its on its way up to me now - so all good thanks

and guys- get a room hey !

cheer rob

ps very comprehensive reply scottar - you know your stuff

Quote Originally Posted by patrol50 View Post
    well now i hope its not me your calling a MR know it all allthough according to my children (now 30 yr old child adults) i do know everything of course - and yes i found a new unit gen 2 touch available on the ch smith site and purchased it and its on its way up to me now - so all good thanks

and guys- get a room hey !

cheer rob

ps very comprehensive reply scottar - you know your stuff
    Absolutely not and I am happy you got an answer to your problem ... Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

so navico re introduced manufacturing of the gen2 touch a few months ago when parts where found to be.. in rather large supply. a sort of slip up of their own "Every 12 months" sort of way of introducing new products.
    so there are some new gen2 units still around new.. not ex display. i found 1 new gen2 touch 7 today when sorting out the stock room. . like oh... hello there little guy... all alone are we? welll. we shall make you feel warm and fuzzy!

....i sometimes talk to stock.......doctors are working on it

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

[QUOTE=bluefin59;1605077]
    Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post

No outstanding as in you stand out for not knowing the facts a bit like a budgie amongst the crows .. Matt
    You win. I cannot compete with your 40 years fishing prowess nor your 30 years marine electronics expertise. And being a simple Know it all , that has had a good run with Lowrance products, I cannot compete with such golden analogies as a budgie and a crow. You are too good for me sir.

Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post
    You win. I cannot compete with your 40 years fishing prowess nor your 30 years marine electronics expertise. And being a simple Know it all , that has had a good run with Lowrance products, I cannot compete with such golden analogies as a budgie and a crow. You are too good for me sir.
    Boys give it a rest hey -
    cheer rob

....i sometimes talk to stock.......doctors are working on it [/QUOTE]

hmm moose i dont if any one here doubts the veracity of that statement - perhaps a little less of the br or jw coffee mix may be the go

cheers rob

ps sorry moose had i known you had a new gen 2 touch - i would have bought it

hahaha rob. if you ever get to coffs harbour.. go to the "plantation hotel" if its still there. and ask for a "moose" its a very nice refreshing drink. with.. a little kick. but still keeps you standing upright .

lowrance!. gota love em

Attachment 111806

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    hahaha rob. if you ever get to coffs harbour.. go to the "plantation hotel" if its still there. and ask for a "moose" its a very nice refreshing drink. with.. a little kick. but still keeps you standing upright .

lowrance!. gota love em

Attachment 111806
    Moose, here's a little jingle that, given your avatar, you should enjoy!

merry Christmas!

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

moon your not going to believe me but that was my ring tone on my phone untill very recently! lol. funny tune . i have the LP of all the letters. hahha

www.moosemarine.com.au