Thread: Land based surprise

Land based surprise

Hi all
    This morning I decided to take advantage of my rdo and head to a local land based spot for a morning fish,Fairly normal morning,usual suspects , undersize bream, sweetlip and moses perch.I did get a large soul which isn't normal for me.Then I had a good run on the baitrunner I picked it up let run for a bit then clicked it into gear ,I felt the weight and it seemed to let go,i waited it ran again let it run then put pressure on it and again it was gone.This continued so I tried to set the hook ,it came in almost to shore when I saw a sort of silvery flash and then it was gone .Hook was gone and leader heavily scuffed ,
    After a few lost fish I upgraded to 30ld leader,Second last bait I finally get to see what it was,No I didn't get it in but I did see it.I was very surprised to see a mackerel! It must have been legal or very close.hard to say still in the water.Unsure if it was spotted or school.
    It was very frustrating,just wondering if I should use wire or gang hooks to stop getting bitten off.I tried metal lures but not one hit.Any help would be much appreciated
    Cheers

Re: Land based surprise

Gang hooks with a mono leader should see you land most of them, plus it doesn't put other species off the bite

Gang hooks would work well for you, should give you a good shot at the surprise bonus fish that come swimming along while working equal well for the fish you would be actively targeting. I found wire doesn't work for many reef/rock species. Still it might be worth carrying one pre made wire rig just incase it's not like it takes up to much room in the box.

Many years ago, a mate and I used to fish fairly extensively at shag rock - predominantly for snapper and spotty mackerel. We ran a two hook rig with the second hook attached via a short length of 7 strand - just long enough to lace through the pilchard bait to hide the wire and end up in front of the tail. Caught enough snapper (up to 9kg) to say that the wire didn't seem to put them off too badly if at all. I have used the same rig with the front hook removed to good effect when the spotties around the 4 beacons were wire shy as well.

Cheers guys,really appreciate your experience and advice,I think I'll be lucky if they are there again but I'll be prepared