Thread: trailer market light?

trailer market light?

Hi guys, the marker light on the front of the wheel guard needs replacing and i was wondering if its needed or can i just replace it with a reflector instead?

Re: trailer market light?

Mine has a reflector but I'm not sure they are legally required. What state are you in? I'm in a state of confusion.

im pretty sure you dont need it mate. Easiest way to find out would be to give a trailer mob a call and ask them. Im just having a look through the regulations now, if i find it i will post it up for you.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/.../vsb_01_b.aspx

Front Position (Side) Lamps

These lamps indicate the presence and width of a trailer when viewed from the front.
    Presence: Must be fitted if a trailer is more than 1600 mm wide and over 4 metres long, or over 1800 mm wide.
    Number: 2.
    Arrangement: At the front. See Figure 1. For trailers 2100 mm wide or less, may be combined with 2 side-marker lamps that have been fitted, this being in accordance with Option 1 or Option 2 (see Section 13.8).
    Electrical Connections: Must operate with rear position, end-outline (if fitted), side-marker (if fitted) and rear registration lamps.
    (For further information, refer to ADR 13/00 Appendix A clause 6.9 and ADR 49/00).

I thought the above was Aus wide but SA regs state -

• side marker lights – if your trailer is more than2.2 metres wide or more than 7.5 metres inlength;
    • clearance lights – if your trailer is more than2.2 metres wide.

and NT regs say -

1. 2.3. Side Marker Lamps are required:
      1. 2.3.1. if a trailer is more than 2100mm wide; or
      2. 2.3.2. if a trailer is over 7.5 metres long
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Personally I would replace the light as I find it helps when reversing the trailer at night.

Thanks Triple for the info.

Sparky89, in all honesty and Robg and I think alike... the more lights on the trailer the better IMO.

I'd replace the light and run some " industrial grade " reflective tape down the trailer and across the back. Jeez, I even have reflective tape on the transom of the boat. Ya never know when a all round white light will kark it ?

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here