Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evinrude E-tec/Mercury 4 stroke/Yamaha 60hp outboard

Evinrude E-tec/Mercury 4 stroke/Yamaha 60hp outboard

Looking for some reviews on the above outboards, looking for some feedback about noise, price, power, maintenance requirements etc. Thanks

Re: Evinrude E-tec/Mercury 4 stroke/Yamaha 60hp outboard

I have a 90hp ETEC never had an issue with it. Everyone that comes on board remark that it is quite for a 2 stroke. Doesn't smoke and I get around 1.8-2km per litre. I am happy with it BUT unfortunately early models weren't reliable so many people have written them off. Reduced resale, little or no trade in value are downsides. If I had my time again I would have gotten a Yamaha 4 stroke
    3yr/300hrs service cost $460

My yammie 70hp 4 stroke is great. Really quiet, around 3km/L at cruise and more than enough power on my 460 Renegade tiller. Overall very happy with it.
    Darren

My 60 is as smooth as, ultra economical and super quiet. Had it for 5 years and done about 250 hours without the slightest problem. BTW, it's a Honda.

Good for you mate i'm happy for ya. They're great motors aswell.
    Darren

HI Sparky

Where are you?

I have a 60 Yamaha and your welcome to come for a spin, the ramp is just around the corner and I need any excuse to go for a run

Cannot speak highly enough so far with the Yamaha and particularly the fuel consumption blows me away.

Rob

I have a 60 yam got in 08 new, same as the others, never had a problem , quiet & great fuel consumption. Do my own servicing. Hope my f115a will be the same. Leigh

Etec 60 is a 2 cylinder which is noisy and doesn't run as smooth as the 4 cylinder 4 strokes like Yamaha and Mercury 60hp.

Just put a Honda on it and go fishing... 7 year warranty!
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mc View Post
    My yammie 70hp 4 stroke is great. Really quiet, around 3km/L at cruise and more than enough power on my 460 Renegade tiller. Overall very happy with it.
    Ditto!
    same donk, same boat, with one exception. Mine is the side console.
    13 months & 97hrs later, I love it. Quiet & fuel frugal, no smoke fumes and smooth as silk unless operated at 700rpm where it shakes like an old 2 stroke.
    Also had a Tohatsu TLDI on the older boat and loved it too.
    My experiences with Mercury aint good & these were discredited from the new purchase pretty quickly, as too were the Hondas due to weight.

I don't think the weight is an issue. I thought the Honda was a few KGs lighter than a Yammy.

in a 60 maybe, but not in the horsepower I was looking.
    To criticise the Honda in this way is probably unfair, after all the 60/70 yam is always going to be lighter than a comparable 70/90.

I'm interested to find out the best of the Yamaha and Honda in the 60hp Tiller

Twin yam 60 4 stokes here. There a quite motor through most of the rev range and offer a nice smooth power curve with plenty of grunt from the bottom, fuel consumption is good by all accounts. Both motors have higher hours and really don't miss a beat, serviced last week and only needed anodes and a fuel filter, a quick peek through the serve history shows only routine matinance needed so quite reliable buggers. However the 70 version weighs only a whisker more and would be the choice for anyone with two brain cells to rub together as the fuel usage wouldn't be much more and the 60's lack top end go.

The Honda has VTEC and 02 sensor feedback.

VTEC gives more top end HP and 02 Sensor feedback ensures the engine is at the best possible economy at all RPM bar WOT. Yamaha does not use any of this technology
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech