Thread: Dogtooth jigging-Fiji

Dogtooth jigging-Fiji

Hi all I am heading to Fiji in a weeks time and have hired 2 seperate boats for fishing I am planing on jigging for doggies and popping for gt's..

I have been watching you tube about dogtooth and the say they even bite through wire to 600pound test is this sort of tackle really needed or can I get away with my normal assist hooks ..
    should I try to make some wire assist rigs or don't bother as just more to carry I am already taking rods and reels and lures and if so how do I make wire assist hooks

any help from people that have done this would be fantastic the Gt stuff I got covered just never caugh a doggie and they look mean..cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Re: Dogtooth jigging-Fiji

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post

I have been watching you tube about dogtooth and the say they even bite through wire to 600pound test...
    Their teeth must have got a lot sharper and jaws stronger in the last 25-30 yrs .

Never jigged for them, but a fat garfish, scad, juvy shark Mackeral or rainbow runner at 60 - 80 ft on the downrigger was to a doggy like ice cream to a kid. Used to fish for them with a bunch of mates. 135-150 lb soft s/s mono on 24 and 150-175 on 37kg depending on bait and hook size. Don't ever recall a bite-off, and a mate got some real big ones as he used to fish for them a lot.

This mono/single strand stuff wouldn't work so well on a jig I guess, but might give you an idea on what you need to prevent bite offs.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Mate who are you going with
    what a sad sad AB

cheers i thought it was a bit odd but it was on the internet so it must have been true
    ill just take my normal assists that way i dont need crimps and the extra tools
    cheers scott

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    Mate who are you going with
    my wife and 2 young kids.... my minister for enjoyment has splashed out for me on this trip just to target gts and dogtooth as in fiji they mainly troll unless you hire the whole boat

Nah what boats you going in mate, where you staying, I am going early next year.
    what a sad sad AB

we are staying at the shangrala resort ..
    on the first charter i have hired the katchalot from adrenalin out of port denaru nadi..
    whole day on my own $850aus
    and the second is freedive (GREAT CHARTER) out of mango bay

there is a bit of travel but well wort it.. where are you staying

Sheraton up at nadi mate, you down near the sigatoga river hey, nice. I don't know if I will go on a charter this time, was disappointed last time with only 1 dollie and a nice coral trout caught on two charters.
    what a sad sad AB

Just go with a decent mono leader and regular assist hooks mate. A decent doggie can chop through single strand anyway, so you either get em or you don't!
    My personal choice is shorter fat jigs in pink.
    Good luck! Doggies are crazy
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Oh, the technique Gofishun described is much more efficient at hooking and landing Dogtooth! Especially a 60cm rainbow runner!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon