Thread: EPIRB required for fishing the Beacons off Brisbane River?

EPIRB required for fishing the Beacons off Brisbane River?

Hi guys,

We have a 4.3m tinny and we were thinking of staying closerto home this weekend and trying the brisbane river. We’ve only fished the river once before and itseemed full of promise.

We are however at a cross roads as to whether we require anEPIRB. We were going to try the shipping beacons (weather permitting) for some mackerel.

I think we are ok without an EPIRB?

Attached is the link to the Fisheries map for smooth and partiallysmooth water, and it seems to me based on this we don’t require one, but we arenot certain we are reading the map or regulations properly.
    http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Smo...-brisbane.aspx

If we do need one, we will probably just head to our usual spotof jumpinpin given the cost of an EPIRB and put it on the Christmas presentlist J .

We don’t particularly fancy a $300 fine if we do need onegiven its almost the cost of an EPIRB!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys

Rob

Re: EPIRB required for fishing the Beacons off Brisbane River?

If you stay in the bay you dont need a epirb its only when you go past the line from skirmish point to comboyuro point and further than 2nautical miles of bribie island do you need to have one but its good to have one anyway.

Thanks Chris,

Yeh we will end up getting one i think over christmas in the sales.

Cheers

Rob

All boats and PWCs operating beyond smooth and partially smooth waters must carry a 406MHz digital EPIRB when more than 2 nautical miles from land.

Have a look at the chartlets in your link, you only need one if going out past the red line.

But as stated, it is a good idea to have one anyway.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

The way the tide flows in some parts of the partially smooth waters, it might not take long to be outside of them
    For example in a capsize or man overboard

An Epirb is probably the most important piece of safety gear you can have in a boat no matter where you are going.
    The KTI SA1G has a 10 year battery and warranty for $265 so thats only $26.50 a year for peace of mind when on the water.
    You can also take them bush in case something happens when out in remote areas.

FYI
    All EPIRBS, Flares and safety gear are 20% off at BCF from tomorow until Sunday.

As Aussie 123 pointed out they are cheap insurance. I go solo fishing on a few dams that do not have mobile coverage and take mine everywhere. Same thing for road trips still plenty of places with no mobile coverage.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by FINICKY View Post
    FYI
    All EPIRBS, Flares and safety gear are 20% off at BCF from tomorow until Sunday.
    The fine print - "Excludes Marine electronics"....however the site lists EPIRBS under safety so hopefully they will be 20% off.

Having spent over two hours in Bramble Bay looking for 5m vessel a few years ago, it would have been a lot quicker and easier for us volunteers to find the boat. Yeah yeah yeah the L A W says you don't need one in that area or the bay/river.

Just think for a minute about your crew and the volunteers who have to spend their time looking for you/them alive or dead and then have to face the visual ##### years on.. all for a few $'s.

If you do buy one, don't go for the cheap EPIRB without GPS as the search range increases from 120 meters to 5 mile. Get a GPS built-in one and be found quicker. And no matter how far off land - Log On with Marine Rescue, it's a FREE service, just like EPIRB registration with AMSA.
    Peter
    engage, educate, encourage

Got the basic one yesterday at 20% off - after reading your post and checking the site for the one I got its going back this morning for the one with the GPS - whilst I hope never to use it the thought that for $50 more I can have one that is accurate to 100m instead of 5km means a whole lot less time lost/in the water !!

Boating and RV is also worth a look. They have some pretty good specials from time to time. I got mine there s while ago. It's the built-in GPS type and I got it packaged with one of those iPhone radio speaker things for about $280 from memory. I have a tinny as well, and I do the Mud Island thing at night on my own a lot, and I do intend to head offshore (close) from Mooloolaba, so it's a good thing to have. As per usual the Minister for War and Finance posed the age-old question as the wallet was opening: "When are younever gonna need that?" The same question was posed when I fitted the second radio to my old Viking, and the same response came: "Hopefully never."
    I fish; therefore I am...

Politicians are just like kangaroos; they're lovely to have around, but they need a good CULL every now and then just to keep the population in check...

I just bought a GME one over the internet from C.H. Smith Marine, Melbourne for $200 delivered to door in 2 working days. A bonus water protected case and speaker for a smartphone or I-pod or similar unit was included. I don't venture into outside water so this unit will do me. My previous unit would have cost me about $280 to replace battery and the new one has a 6 year life and Free battery replacement after 6 years. That's 12 years for $200. Would be silly not to take up the offer.
    Pete