Thread: whiting poppers

whiting poppers

Just after some feedback on your favourite popper for whiting.

Re: whiting poppers

I'm interested in this as i actually really saw whiting hitting small bait on the surface yesterday in about 20cm of water.

sent from the beerhunter

Gonna grab a couple of bushy poppers and have a go.

Ecogear PX 45 or 55's are the go..... pricey but great
    Jack.

What pound mainline and trace do you fellas use for popping whiting? Also, does the water need to be calm and still for them to work? Thanks.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Ecogear PX 45 or 55's are the go..... pricey but great
    Only one problem with these - bloody tailor like them too - so much so they tend to keep them

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    What pound mainline and trace do you fellas use for popping whiting? Also, does the water need to be calm and still for them to work? Thanks.

Cuzza
    4lb fluorocarbon, straight through. I struggle tying knots so I find this simple setup best for me. Sand flats, incoming tide when they're coming n for a feed. Some good clips on YouTube.

If fishing light braid then use a short (60-80cm) 10lb leader......will give less problems than using light leader and light braid.
    Straight thru FC in 6lb would be good.
    Jack.

Thanks for the info. What about depth- skinny water better than a few plus metres? Also, does chop in the water/on the surface decrease their effectiveness?

Cuzza

A wind ripple is preferred, calm days don't usually fire for me.
    generally less than 2 feet of water, although you can get hammered in 2m of water just out from the edge of the bank.
    Jack.

Cool Re: whiting poppers

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Only one problem with these - bloody tailor like them too - so much so they tend to keep them
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Topwater-...EAAMXQVT9S2eoh

the cheaper alternative

Have a mix of poppers and walk the dog style in clear or prawn imitation colours and let the fish decide on the day, heavier ones are good as casting distance helps some days

I've had alot of luck with Zip Baits Skinny Pop jnrs.

Storm Gomoku's do the trick for me. find most fish in around 1-1.5 m of water, sometimes as shallow as ankle deep. 6lb mainline max 10 lb flouro leader.