Thread: How to unstick an anchor?

How to unstick an anchor?

I have had 2 anchors stuck at Harry Atkinsons reef in the last few months!

First one I lost, second I got free.

First question, how often do you get stuck? - I found out there must be a fair few stuck at harries (will get to that in a bit).
    Second, whats the best way to get them free? - I have a 15lb plough anchor..

First anchor I lost was impossible to get out after 30 min of messing around, pulling from all angles.
    Second one, I had a drum winch and it was stuck hard enough to stall the winch.
    Pulled around and broke it free, but, couldn't pull it up. I was afraid of breaking the bowsprit if pulling too hard, and also was pissed enough not to lose a second anchor.
    Was adrift in around 20m of water, so ended up reversing for a mile into shallower water where the anchor rope was at an angle and then going forward a little, wind in till stall, then go shallower, then forward + wind till I could see what it was.
    Ended up being another reef anchor, chunks of wood and about 5 lines of rope tangled up going back into the water on the plough!! -- Cut it free and went on fishing
    Maybe there was a boat or block of gold attached to the other end of the ropes?

Pulling from a stern cleat is bad for good reasons, but, pulling through a bowsprit too hard maybe a worry? - Has anyone broken a bowsprit before?

Have seen some setups on the net where a plough bolted to the base and cabletied along the metal bit to allow it to pull out backwards. Though, haven't seen many boats with anchors setup like that, especially with winches.
    Sarca and others have the sliding shackle which looks better for letting it pull out backwards... Are they much better at not getting stuck?

Any pointers on the best way to not get stuck and when stuck, getting them out??

Seppo--

Re: How to unstick an anchor?

Best method is setting the anchor up to "trip" using the ties as you have mentioned but unfortunately, sometimes it doesn't matter what you do your anchor is going to get stuck. I use a Sarca and have never had an issue but I have heard of them getting caught on the odd occasion - they're not the cheapest chunk of steel to lose. I have heard of people breaking bowsprits as well. The Seafarers is held on with sika and 4 countersunk bolts ( at least mine was) underneath the stainless chain guard. I dismantled mine, re did the sika bedding using a lot more sika ( It will be a shiteload harder to get off next time) and added 4 more bolts.

You could try using a traditional reef pick with some lighter tines but even these on occasion will get hung up and not want to come back (had this happen personally). We used to do a heap of diving for crays when I lived in Perth - once I managed to drop my pick straight down a chimney into a limestone cavern that was about 5 metres deep. Wasn't an issue with diving as we just went in and got it out (along with a few critters) but without the scuba that pick would have stayed there permanently as well. Ultimately the best way to not get them stuck is to anchor out off the edge of the structure and either let out more rope or fish lighter and float your baits back onto the spot - this can be tricky in areas like Harry's though due to boat traffic

Don't think I would be using a plough anchor on hard reef like that!

Thanks Noelm, -- I agree that reef anchors are better for reefy places..
    Do people ever have multiple anchors for swapping out?, I haven't really looked or thought about having multiple anchors for different conditions

It would be interesting to hear some anchoring war stories and what worked and what didn't?

I always carry a big reef anchor, a mooloolaba pick, a large sand anchor and a smaller one as a spare plus an extra 100m of rope and another 5 or 6m of chain for justin.

I hadn't lost an anchor in 7 or 8 years and than lost 3 in 3 trips plus all the chain and a good hunk of rope each time.

Not much fun getting caught up... and can be dangerous at times. You really need different anchors for different ground.

For reef I run a Mooloolaba pick, shackle at top, chain cable tied down spine of anchor, and clip 2 large floats on when retrieving. If it gets stuck its only for a second.

Cheers

jim

Let out 20-30 meters of line, then put the engine into reverse with WOT . But seriously the best thing to do is have a 2 anchors, a sand and a reef (fold the tines in for easy storage) onboard and use the right one for the job as it saves money, damage and time. The break away anchor trick is good if you find yourself in the reef but its not nearly as effective as a proper reef pick. Choose the right anchor and don't drop it in anything to gnarly and you should't have to cut any free.

Why you lose your anchor at Harries. you can see other anchor ropes in the background.

The real reef.jpg

Tuskie.jpg

Tire_Pipe.jpg

Regards
    Honda.

Best way to get them back is get onto the divers who know there is money to be made retrieving them. Unfortunately it's quite common .

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Scalem....... shhhhhhhhhh
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.