Thread: PE6 Reel?

PE6 Reel?

I've got a rod coming that's 7'6, PE 4-8 and I'm wanting some more specific advice with a matching reel. Ideally I'm wanting 300m of proper Japanese-style PE6 line to fit on it whilst still making it comfortable to fish heavy for reef species and pelagics/lighter GT work. I don't have a stella/saltiga budget but am willing to fork out up to $500 for the right reel.

Can anyone confirm if 300m of PE6 line will fit on a Shimano Saragosa 10000SW?

Otherwise, I'm open to any brand options and the potential to go up to PE8 but feel a 20000-size reel is just too heavy. Cheers.

Re: PE6 Reel?

I've got a Saragosa 10k and from memory it took about 300m of PE6. Haven't used it yet, so can't report on its longetivity, but a mate runs them on charter and they stand up well.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Maybe a Fin-Nor LT 100 or Offshore

The Gosa 10000 is the slower gear so if you are going to use the rod for popping it might not work quite as well. It will still be ok but maybe look at a higher geared reel. What is the primary purpose? Either way that size Saragosa will be a good reel and you just need to decide on the gear ratio for the model.
    If you can swing the extra cash a Daiwa Catalina would be perfect In the 5000 size. They have both ratios to pick from.
    It's worth checking Alan Hawk's review on them.

Fin-Nor Lethal and Offshores are off the cards. They are too heavy and cumbersome. This stick will primarily be a popping/stickbaiting outfit so of course I have to consider gear ratios and have that in mind for the 10'000 SW. Ideally I'd like something 16'000 size that's not a Twinpower or a Stella. Haven't seen the Catalinas but may be worth a look in.

Go the Saragosa fully sealed, smooth drag. It's my pick if I was going to buy a offshore spin reel.
    It has a few Stella features without the price tag.
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "

Saragosa certainly looks the winner, however the Okuma Salina III on paper looks far superior for a lot cheaper. Why don't we hear of people using these for reef stickbaiting with their fast retrieve, heavy drag and lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkleen View Post
    Saragosa certainly looks the winner, however the Okuma Salina III on paper looks far superior for a lot cheaper. Why don't we hear of people using these for reef stickbaiting with their fast retrieve, heavy drag and lifetime warranty.
    The 5.7:1 high speed SAS3 10000 looks good and stats show 663 grams for the 4.8:1 SA3 10000 but can't find a weight for the SAS3? shouldn't be much different though..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Yeah. I still think for piece of mind, my heard-earned is worth going the Saragosa 10000SW. Waiting on the rod to arrive to properly match it with a reel for balance.