Thread: First Billfish @ Breaksea

First Billfish @ Breaksea

Spent Friday Saturday and Sunday morning up at Roonies, and my crew and I scored on the little Blacks that are running up there at the moment. In fact my fish came within 20 minutes of lines in on Friday! It was a solid fish too, probably nudging 30kg.
    Saturday we headed out over the bar at the 4 mile area. Conditions were fairly ordinary in our 19' Cruise Craft. We trolled around the shoal for an hour or so, for nothing, then headed up to a wreck 7 nm north.,not much there either, so we headed another 6 nm north to the wreck in 60m. The fish here were definitely on the chew, but so were the Sharks and after loosing 3 high end jigs we called it a dead loss and trolled up towards the top of the spit. We actually had another little black right to the back of the boat whilst bringing in the spread, but he didn't strike.
    That arvo Justin picked up his first Marlin back at Roonies and we saw a couple more to keep moral up.
    Sunday we trolled for a couple of hours after breaky, but only managers few little Tuna.
    The trip home to Brisbane was soured by an encounter with a kangaroo. It actually could have been much worse, but we could have lived without it!!
    Great trip, beautiful spot and well worth the effort, but yo be honest, I'd prefer 1770 any day.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	111437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	111436   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	111433   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	111432   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	111435  

Click image for larger version. 

Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	111434  
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: First Billfish @ Breaksea

Well done on getting up there and ticking off that billy!

I've been planning a run up there, but have been waiting to hear a few good reports before heading off...

Thanks for the report and shame about the roo!

cheers

jim

Hey Jim, the fish are there. Don't wait too long, maybe this season they're just not as thick as past years?
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Plan is to head up early Sunday morning...

I agree that that they probably won't be as thick this year... Certainly hard to beat last year!

Cheers

jim

Bump, how are they going up there have they fired up in numbers as yet??