Thread: Shimano tyrnos

Shimano tyrnos

Hey fishy folks,

I'm looking to add an overhead to the collection for venturing a bit wider and winching bigger things off the bottom, I've narrowed it down to either the Tyrnos 20 or the TLD 25. i'm just looking for some info on witch is more of a hassle free unit, my past experience with a star drag has me leaning towards a leaver drag to have better and faster control over the fish, don't they just love picking them up on the way down and backspinning the damn thing.

Any way for fishing 30-50m using 20lb-30lb mono witch would be the simpler more effective choice?

Re: Shimano tyrnos

I'd go a bait runner over either, but the tyrnos is the one I'd choose. I have all three. My trusty old tld has had a couple of rebuilds and keeps kicking on, but doesn't run drag even close to a baitrunner.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

At those line classes and at that water depth, unless you are chasing serious pelagics, I would be inclined to find something smaller and lighter . Start with how many meters of line you want the reel to carry and work from there. If you are possibly looking at running a heavier line class at some stage or using the reel for deeper work then the Tyrnos would also be my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    At those line classes and at that water depth, unless you are chasing serious pelagics, I would be inclined to find something smaller and lighter . Start with how many meters of line you want the reel to carry and work from there. If you are possibly looking at running a heavier line class at some stage or using the reel for deeper work then the Tyrnos would also be my pick.
    I'm fishing 12 and 15b on my Bait runners but i find it a little tedious pulling in larger fish from deep, having to play the drag and being a little careful getting them off bottom, looking for a reel where i can really give it to them to get them off the reef and then winch them up. I'm also going to be spending a little more time chasing the Spanish when they come to town and fancy something capable of dealing with them. The tyros also seems to have higher drag rating then my 800 BR oc, better off the bottom i hope.

You need a deck winch for winching. Unless you are looking at a 2 speed overhead they will die a quick death if you don't use the rod for lifting fish off reefs.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

I have the Tyrnos 10 on a Saltiga jig stick loaded with 50lb Fins........from memory around 250mtrs but not 100% sure.

I don't regulary fish deeper water like your saying though about 30-35mtrs max for us up here unless we go 40nm out......Any way so far it's been great on Black Jew and Goldie's (Fingermark to you Qldr's) and has caught the odd 5-6kg Bluebone which pull pretty hard for what they are........It's light and easy to use and would recommend one for sure.......I think I only paid just over $200 for it so not a top of the line reel by any mean but it has been faultless none the less.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Check out this catalogue/sale. The FinNor offshore 20 at $99 would do the trick just fine. Don't be scared of star drags.
    http://www.dinga.com.au/fishing-sale-and-offers.html#2