Thread: Lip grips ( boga grips ) bad?

Lip grips ( boga grips ) bad?

Hi all. I've never used lip grips but after seeing mate use them on a jack recently and after seeing numerous videos of people releasing jacks by swimming them with the grips i am a bit concerned about the damaged being done to the fish. I dont believe a jack ever needs swimming before it is released and when i saw its teeth being torn out as it thrashed against the grips you got to wonder. Then there is the damage to the jaw itself. So what im saying is use them to control the fish for a photo with support under its belly but dont hang them and release them with the grips.
    Thoughts?

sent from the beerhunter

Re: Lip grips ( boga grips ) bad?

I don't like using lip grips unless I have to.
    I never use them for releases.
    Usually I only use them to handle fish in the boat that go into the esky.
    Returned fish are normally handled with bare hands.
    Jack.

I'm with tunaticer.
    Never had the need for one, use a fish friendly landing net when necessary.

Bogas should NEVER be used to lift a fish. They do so much harm by way of stretching the back bone ( vertebrae ) and has been studied and found to cause death.

One recent study found lifting a large Barra with Bogas actually stretched it about 10mm, and all that was in the vertebrae.

Bogas can be used to hold a fish by the mouth for photo opportunities, as long as the fish is supported under the belly by your hand.

I have never had bogas / lip grips and won't let them on my boat.

Thanks for bringing this topic up...

cheers LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 31-10-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Yeah i think a lot of people still don't get it regarding hanging the fish from them.
    And amazingly boga grips have scales built in and the website explains how to weigh a live fish WTF.

But my main concern now is people letting jacks go on the grips. The jack often bites down on them wrecking teeth and so on.

sent from the beerhunter

just grab hold of the fish with your bare hands for gods sake. Dont be so precious!!
    I blame all the plastics fishos with there tournament shirts running around getting photos with fish, lip grips and perfectly placed plastics in the corner of mouths ......

Popcorn anyone?

There you go popcorn lovers.

Get that one into ya!!!!!!!

cheers

Jeff

Beats the old days of gaff and release i suppose ☺ come to think of it people still do gaff and release

sent from the beerhunter

You get a metre of Barra or 50lbs of Cod in the boat, on a lure with 3 sets of sharp trebles hanging out of it. You better hope you have a Boga to control the fish while you remove the hooks.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Zano hit the nail on the head. Bogas are for posers.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    You get a metre of Barra or 50lbs of Cod in the boat, on a lure with 3 sets of sharp trebles hanging out of it. You better hope you have a Boga to control the fish while you remove the hooks.
    Then again, you may not need to get it " in the boat ", using a sling to control and weigh the fish ( while still in the water ) is the preferred method for C & R.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I guess in a really strange sort of way, a fish released after being hung up on lip grips/gaff, spine stretched and possible internal injuries, has got an infinite more chance of survival than one in the esky, or left dead in the sun for hours!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Then again, you may not need to get it " in the boat ", using a sling to control and weigh the fish ( while still in the water ) is the preferred method for C & R.

LP
    It's still legal to eat them you know.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

they are still fish after all they are not some sacred species. if you are going to let it go be extra careful if you want to keep it then handle it in any way that is suitable to you.
    nobody on this planet is the same we all have different ways to do things
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Found a photo of me yes me using lip grips can't say i remember it sorry

sent from the beerhunter