Thread: Which knot to tie single line droppers like black magic snapper rigs

Which knot to tie single line droppers like black magic snapper rigs

So I scored a box full of pre-tied "flies" on circle hooks, similar to those used on the Black Magic snapper flasher rigs. Was wondering if anyone has any advice on what knot to use to tie the single droppers off the main line of the paternoster? I tried a double surgeons knot but it compromises lien strength too much. Using 30lb for the main and want to tie droppers on of 10 & 15lb, fishing south coast nsw, the snapper are fussy on leader size and not real big.

Thanks in advance

Re: Which knot to tie single line droppers like black magic snapper rigs

I use 3 way swivels mate, a few extra knots to tie but I haven't been let down by any yet. I tried a range of dropper loop knots and could not repeatability of knot strength. I actually crimp my connections these days too, but I am using 100pound so the finished result is much neater.

Scott.

i have just tied normal dropper loops and then cut the loop to give a single line in the lighter line classes without issue, cant comment for line classes over 40lbs

Cheers
    Mike
    Tangles KFC

Not sure if you mean the snapper are not real big or you need the line weight to be not real big -
    I have played around a fair bit on sapper and settled on a long loop dropper formed with either a double or triple surgeon knot, and I normally use 15 lb fluro for the rig straight to the braid mainline.
    Then instead of cutting off half of the loop like a lot of guys do - I thread a length of hollow red plastic (similar to whats used on some whiting rigs only of a greater diameter) over the whole dropper just leaving enough so that the dropper can be threaded thru the hook eye, the same way you would loop a sinker on.
    By using the red plastic I find it stiffens up the dropper so it stands out from the vertical line down to the sinker and get less tangles in fast flowing water etc and then the thicker line of the dropper (now bright red) actually becomes an attractor for snapper.
    Maybe give it a try, cheers