Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electric motor set up for kayak

Re: Electric motor set up for kayak

Nice. She's going to be pretty tender turning to the right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Haha yeah its not too bad on the short turns but tight turns requires a double jointed elbow

Will be getting a good test soon just got to work out how to sneak the jayak and battery and motor past the private property to get to fish the untouched part of the creek

Hi mate. I am doing a build on the same size yak. I have used the motor on a side mount and it worka well. Looking for to the test drive for rear mount. I have fabbed up foot pedals that turn the motor. All alloy and stainless with 2.0mm stainless rope. Forward controls for electrics. Waterproof plug for electics and quick release for steering cables and motor. Cables run inboard from pedals. Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ohh...i am using a Full River 30 amp hour AGM that doubles as my ride on mower battery. On my little 18pound watersnake Asp it runs for quite a few hours on low speed. Draws about 6 amps per hour on low.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

On fast speed the 18 pound runs a tiny bit harder than i can paddle going flat chat. Draws about 15 amps per hour on that speed.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ok, I've had mine set up and used every weekend for the last six months and performs perfectly.
    A lot of thinking and effort to get it complete, but so simple and easy to use.
    30lb pushes along very nicely with 45ah AGM that has never run flat, always come in with at least 45-50% remaining for 5-6hrs fishing (long enough sitting your arse)
    forward steering control at my side with right hand
    forward controlled tilt bracket release lever and motor tilt all with quick release clips,
    speed selection with left hand at my side is via a dial (potentiometer) at my finger tips (bit like a light dimmer switch) controlled with a PWM wired with relevant relays for unlimited speed selection between nothing and WOT
    motor safety kill switch fits to ankle via a lanyard and velcro surfboard leash ankle strap.
    I love it...

Edit: pics to come- Photobucket issues
    .......Ash