Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric motor set up for kayak

Electric motor set up for kayak

Hi guys. I've recently bought my first kayak and am keen to put an electric motor on it so i can troll lures into the current targeting mangrove jacks.
    Anyone have any advice on mounts and motors I'm on a bit of a budget too. Cheers.
    Photo of kayak.

sent from the beerhunter

Re: Electric motor set up for kayak

Check out the kayak fishing forums like kfdu. They invent all sorts of stuff out of pvc tube for their kayaks.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Check out the kayak fishing forums like kfdu. They invent all sorts of stuff out of pvc tube for their kayaks.
    Thanks mate I'll check them out and keep an eye on here as well and report back. Cheers

sent from the beerhunter

I found this for $249 mount and motor so i might go for this.
    Might even mount it up front for better control and access.

sent from the beerhunter

Go bigger IMO, 20lb thrust isn't very much considering you want to move against the current, I have an 18lb thrust water snake which isn't much smaller and top speed is about the same as a fast paddle pace. My brother upgraded to a 24lb thrust watersnake and that wasn't much quicker.
    I've recently upgraded to a 30lb tiller steer osapian motor for my 2.8m kayak and bought it off eBay from haswing marines eBay store, they sell them outright at a fixed price $179+ postage but also put one up as a 99c starting bid, I got mine for $140 delivered- very happy with it, as mentioned go have a look on KFDU, quite a few people have electrics. Just remember bigger motor means bigger battery which means more weight on board. Mines currently a project in the works, motor is rear mounted in a transom board, and I'm having forward steering controls and forward operated motor lift and deploy.... just about got it sussed out and will have a build thread up on KFDU once it's complete and been on water tested, but yeah definately go a bigger motor if your playing in the current, you can alway run it at a lower speed if needed.
    .......Ash

Hi beerhunter, I had some experience with the motor mount in the picture you posted for $249. In my opinion they are cheap and nasty. The one I installed for a customer was full of flex right from day 1 and it broke within a very short period of time. Which ever mount you choose needs to be very strong because plenty of leverage is applied when the motor is in the up position. My advice is keep looking for a better one.

Or DIY one...
    I couldn't find anything strong enough or to my liking either, lightweight yet still nice and strong, have since painted the aluminium black. Some ideas for you anyway.

.......Ash

Ok thanks heaps I'm going to do my own now. I'll look for some ally pipe today and cut it up to suit and get it welded.
    What do you reckon about mounting it on the front rod holders. Seams like a good spot and forward of center so it will pull rather than push and be more controlled like a tinnie bow mount.

sent from the beerhunter

Plenty people have them like that but set up in the rod holders just behind the seat, personally I don't like that way but each to there own. Will be better steering control if its mounted fully forward on the nose like a bow mount or on the tail like I have, unless you install a rudder system on the back...
    .......Ash

Yeah no worries. I'm still thinking about mounts.but like ashh said might need to go bigger than 20 pound. I checked out the water snake motors today the 18 and 24 were tiny compared to the 30 pound motor. See pic.

sent from the beerhunter

And a minn kota was There for cheap Meant to be fresh water model but my old min Kota 27 pound was a fresh Model and i got 15 years Trouble free years with it in salt so who knows what the Difference is.

sent from the beerhunter

A little zinc anode, the colour and about $280 by the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    A little zinc anode, the colour and about $280 by the sound of it.
    Haha yeah i think thats about it. I might go for this motor.

sent from the beerhunter

Just be aware that if you are offset mounting the motor, the bigger the motor the more the kayak is going to want to tilt that way, which can be a pain in the but getting in and out of the kayak as it trys to turn turtle.
    Dinga have the watersnakes on special at the moment, 109 bucks for the 24 delivered free if your a member.

Thanks ya feral ☺ how about twin 24s still cheaper.

sent from the beerhunter