Thread: $500 to spend on a fish finder?

$500 to spend on a fish finder?

Hey guys.
    I hope you can help me out.
    I have just purchased a new tinny and most of the fishing I will be doing is either freshwater or estuary. If I was to go offshore I would only go 2-3km offshore due to the size of the boat.
    I have a budget of $500 and since this is my first boat I don't really know where to start.

I have been considering the dragonfly 4pro, lowrance elite 4, or elite 5x but it's hard to tell what is better.

Can you guys offer any assistance for a fish finder about the $400-500 mark?

Thank you

Re: $500 to spend on a fish finder?

Cheers

Steven

Thanks StevenM

Is there any reason this one is better than something like the dragonfly or lowrance?

You just can not kill them and they are so easy to use.

i have on my floating toys at the moment

Lowrance 4 on on kayak
    Lowrance 5 on another kayak
    H'bird 797 rear of boat and Garmin up the front on the electric

the bird just rocks. It is a Di and Si unit. Will be replacing it shortly with a helix 7 si
    Cheers

Steven

It is not only the technology of the unit that is important if you cannot read the screen in direct sunlight with Polaroids on you may as well have a length of string with knots every metre . Try and view a unit in sunlight before making up your mind.they a ll; look great in subdued light on the showroom floor. Ever noticed why the lighting always appears dim in the sounder demo area?
    Cheers
    Ray

I use a Lowrance Elite 4-HDI & it's great value for money. Got it for about $430 with Navionics card included.

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/p...ecommendations
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

I run a lowrance 4x chirp in my yak, good little unit, I have no problems viewing in direct sun with Polaroids on, they're on special at whitworths $150 but your extra budget and room you have in the tinny compared to a kayak you would benefit going to a larger screen size model...
    .......Ash

Before you buy, ask how waterproof it is.
    I've had a couple of older model Lowrances die on me because water got in. (First signs fogging up.)
    This is despite being under a canopy and up above the dash.
    Suspect the tinny will be even wetter.