Thread: Help - trying to get my son his first saltwater fish - Maroochydore

Help - trying to get my son his first saltwater fish - Maroochydore

I know this is always asked, but would appreciate some advice on the most likely way to put my 10 year old young fella onto a fish or two at Maroochydore. He has caught Murray cod, bass, yellabelly, Saratoga so he can cast a lure quite well, but he has never caught anything in the salt. If anyone could suggest his best chance of catching something that would be great, dont care if it is only rats we won't be keeping any. Unfortunately we will be land based but will have every lure you could imagine for him to throw. He is mad keen so I hope someone can help us out!!

Thanks

Re: Help - trying to get my son his first saltwater fish - Maroochydore

Chase some flathead on soft plastics. Plenty of ground up that way - sandbanks around the river mouths - if they have water flowing over the bank and down a drop off even better. Reasonable weight jig heads to keep it near/on the bottom. Cast out, hop it back. The type of plastic doesn't seem to matter too much. Some guys have favourite colours - personally pink would be mine but they are gluttons and will have a crack at just about anything landed in front of them. Watch the spikes on the sides of the head.

Thanks appreciate the advice.

Good advice from Scottar. Places to try are chambers island on the northern side of the island. Depending on the tide you may have to get the shorts a little wet to get your plastics to the deeper drops but as a kid I used to basically circum navigate that little island throwing lures. Another one is the Twin waters weir on the northern side of the river. Both sides produce fish depending on which way the water is flowing. Be careful not to let him go down onto the pipes as they are very slippery and dangerous current flow if he falls in. You may lose some gear due to the rocky bottom but early morning often sees lots of baitfish hitting the surface and surface lures like really small poppers can be deadly.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Good advice from Scottar. Places to try are chambers island on the northern side of the island. Depending on the tide you may have to get the shorts a little wet to get your plastics to the deeper drops but as a kid I used to basically circum navigate that little island throwing lures. Another one is the Twin waters weir on the northern side of the river. Both sides produce fish depending on which way the water is flowing. Be careful not to let him go down onto the pipes as they are very slippery and dangerous current flow if he falls in. You may lose some gear due to the rocky bottom but early morning often sees lots of baitfish hitting the surface and surface lures like really small poppers can be deadly.
    Thanks Lovey,

Appreciate your thoughts, let's hope he can drag at least something out!

Get some beach worms and head over to the beach. Should be kept busy with Dart, whiting, bream etc. easy fishing and good fun.