Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1770 Fishers need help.

Re: 1770 Fishers need help.

Hi All,
    I have been one of the vocal people on GRC FB page and council direct, and I have also posted comments to Gladstone observer with the following article. I received this email from Wayne, one of the local guys up there trying to get this stupid decision reversed, and he has asked me to post this on the forum's that I frequent. So I have posted to my fishing club's forum and thought I would post it on this thread as well, seeing some of you on this thread already know me and the fight we are in.
    cheers
    H

Hi H
    I have been busy posting articles about the bins removal on the local newspaperand GRC facebook page and the Gladstone Observer ran another story about thebin today..

I thought i would send you a copy of todays post so you might post it on anyforum or group you think might lend support..

Thanks for your and all the guys down there for the support so far..

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/one-bin-wheelie-skimpy/2838320/

Wayne

HI Folks.
    Recently at the Roundhill Creek, 1770 boat ramp representatives of ourGladstone Regional Council took the Bins away from the area without warning orconsultation with the Public or the Boat ramp users..
    When questioned about the reasons for this action Council issued a statementthat stated "Illegal Dumping of Household Waste" as the reason theaction was taken..
    For those that may not know the story ,there was bins placed at the boat rampsome 6 years ago and gradually these bins became a popular place for lazylocals to rid themselves of all kinds of waste including Furniture, waste oiland dead animals to name a few of the interesting things amongst the householdwaste dumped there..
    In its wisdom,Council decided that the best way to deal with this problem wasto gradually increase the number and size of the bins and in fact increase theservice intervals of the bins and each time the service was increased thepublic responded by dumping more waste in and around the bins.
    This was seen by locals, visitors and local business owners as anunsightly,smelly health risk and complaints to council increased with thevolume of the waste allowed to be dumped there uncontested.
    Previous to the time of the bins removal Council had not placed a singlenotification about the chance of prosecution to the people responsible in anypublication reasonably expected to be read by anyone effected by the rubbishproblem..Council had not posted signage, erected surveillance measures orendeavored to personally issue warnings or on the spot fines to the culprits atany time and not one prosecution had been made in order to halt the continualillegal dumping.
    Instead of the above actions ,that any rate payer would sensibly expect itselected officers to carry out, Council instead decided the best way to halt theIllegal dumping was to penalise the very people that the bins were placed therefor originally and as a service to the people using the ramp and indeedsupporting the local community by removing the bins without Notice..
    Ironicaly, after the bins were removed Council proudly announced thatmonitoring devices had been place to watch the area and no waste had beendumped since the bins removal.
    For weeks since the bins removal, I ,and others have made complaint to theMayor, Councilors and our State member without a positive and in fact asometimes smug unmoving attitude was offered to questions asked of them..
    On several occasions I have asked the Mayor, The CEO and the Council complaintsteam specific questions regarding the Proceedure, the Decision Makers andComplaints Origin proof that they state were reasons that lead to the decisionthey took without reply except a generic scripted reply or a total lack ofresponse for them.
    Our Lady mayor at time of my typing this letter has not bothered to answer aproposal from myself that offers a proactive answer to the problem thatinvolves me personally supplying waste collection and camera monitoring at theramp for the cost to them of set up and on costs only so I can only suspect thatshe is unwilling to listen to reason on the matter..
    I wish to clear up a few untruths that have been bandied around about the binssince their removal so people can decide for them selves why the decision toremove the bins is a wrong one by the council..
    1 The bins were smelly and the local businesses were effected by the smell inthat it was unpleasant for customers..
    A. true. The bins were very smelly and very unsightly but this was a directresult of the inaction by Council to halt the illegal dumping that caused thebins to be filled to overflowing and the lids left open.
    2 The bins were mainly used for fish waste.
    A. Not true..The Qld fisheries laws governing the filleting of fish at seaalmost make the returning of fish to the ramp in any condition but complete wasunlikely and most fishermen took the whole fish home to be filleted and thewaste was placed in a freezer for removal on bin day..Some visitiors andcampers did place fish waste in the bins but compared to the boats using theramp this was a minimal amount. Fishermen using the ramp do not as a rulereturn from sea with old bait or anything that can be returned to the seawithout causing harm so in fact the majority by far of the waste placed in thebins by the people the bins were intended for was Plastic bags, Ice bags. Baitbags and containers and grocery containers.
    3. The bins can not co habit the same area as a cafe without creating smell andeffecting business negatively for the operators.
    A. False..there is many places around the country that shares boat ramp andeateries within the same and less distance without problem (see Mackay harbourRamp)..If the bins are managed and not allowed to become illegal dumpinggrounds then the smell and litter argument becomes null and void and simplespring loaded self closing lids will ensure smells are sealed in..
    Please folks ,Support the Fishermen and Ramp users and make a complaint toGladstone Regional Council in order to see the correct decision made and thepeople that the bins were placed there to serve again able to dispose the wastethat is mostly purchased locally and generates Jobs and security for the localeconomy..
    Wayne Bonham

hi guys, not sure your aware but we fished 1770 on sun 8th and industrial bins back in usual position on right side of car park. well done to all who pressed issue. good one

I will be going past today so will have a look and check it out.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by KEMEL K View Post
    hi guys, not sure your aware but we fished 1770 on sun 8th and industrial bins back in usual position on right side of car park. well done to all who pressed issue. good one
    Sorry buddy, but they are not there. Just got Wayne to do a drive by and they are not there..??

Quote Originally Posted by heoheo View Post
    Sorry buddy, but they are not there. Just got Wayne to do a drive by and they are not there..??
    yep sorry guys 11yo son took rubbish to bin, asked him before 1st post "big industrial bins like usual dad"
    Tonight it's "wheelie bin beside ramp dad"

LOL a bin is a bin to a 11yr old. The wheelie bin lasted half a day before rubbish was overflowing in it. manifestly inadequate. The Gladstone observer just ran a story on it also. Hopefully council will start to take notice.

I drove past the other day but was distracted by the 4 cars with trailers on them parked in the rigging bay. Couldn't believe it, 4 of them, NSW plates and the drivers were nowhere to be seen....

Angry Re: 1770 Fishers need help.

Just starting to take an interest in topic. It kind of reminds me why I stopped going to national parks , NF Rubbish bins. Some years ago some bright spark thought that no bins meant people took their rubbish home. HA BULLSHIT. the ONLY reason we had bins in the first place was because people DIDNT take their rubbish home. I tell you , the nuts are in charge.
    In this so called enlightened age where we are trying to minimise pollution, some councillors just dont get it that its a responsibility to collect it. Its expected in our society. It should be looked on as a duty NOT A LIABILITY. Encouraging people to use a tip, I would have thought was a good outcome for everyone. BUT NOOOO, Notice how tip fees are over the top? Thats why rubbish collects outside tip gates.
    In the rush to beautify and encourage tourism, you would have thought keeping the place clean was a good idea ! Its one of the attractions for overseas tourists - how clean the place is. Keeping the forshore clean is AN ASSET. These nuts /bean counters need to understand the value of things, not just the immediate bottom line. The same applies to recycling, although most city councils now recycle because they make money out of it. How long did that take to sink in?
    These guys are sitting pretty close to the water, notice the revolt over parking meters in one melbourne council. Its cost the council more in repairs than the new meters will make ( some one found another use for liquid nails, and it wasnt one or two) and physical violence in council chambers. Does it have to come to this? Having some muslim brothers ( they like fishing too! ) living near by could help persuade. Just like saying I was of Italian decent or born in Griffith sent the fear of mafia to everyone years ago. Not PC I know. It worked for me. Yes I know, just angry /funny thoughts.

I believe the main consideration in the local council is the bottom line. A good case as to why long term its in the councils interest to collect the rubbish is the best argument. we have. Making them understand is a bit more difficult.
    Thats my rant.

An update to this thread......
    After a long and sustained campaign that resulted in the standing mayor getting the flick in the recent council elections we have success...........
    The bins are back at the ramp.....
    If your are in the area and using the bins please don't abuse what we have fought so hard for. Ensure that rubbish is placed in the bins and if they are full please find another bin or go to the tip if it is open.

Gail sellers went out of her way to do nothing for agnes/rules beach. She hated the southern part of the shire.
    Great to see her gone now we mite have some progress, especially at rules beach/baffle creek.