Thread: Fish ID if possible thanks

Question Fish ID if possible thanks

Caught south east qld waters, sorry bad pic was released but not before giving a painful sting from one of its spines that aparantly lasted quite a while
    .......Ash

Re: Fish ID if possible thanks

Happy Moment??

Happy Moment, or Black Trevally, also known as something else that escapes me just now, Spinyfoot or the like, does give quite a sting, hence the "happy moment" tag, supposedly good to eat, but most hate them so they just kill them.

Cheers guys
    .......Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Happy Moment, or Black Trevally, also known as something else that escapes me just now, Spinyfoot or the like, does give quite a sting, hence the "happy moment" tag, supposedly good to eat, but most hate them so they just kill them.
    called a happy moment because it pulls like a bream, you are happy for a moment, then you realise what it is
    what a sad sad AB

She handled it with a rag because she didn't know what it was, but when she went to throw it back in the spines got caught in the rag and it came back and got her in the ankle.... was in pain for quite a while and rated it 7 out 10, 10 being the most.
    .......Ash

Yep, it's a happy moment or black trevalley.

A Moreton Bay pro netter I know targets then at specific times of the year, the Asian community love them consider a delicacy, and he gets better money per kg for them than bream, mullet and tailor. Gets stung to buggery by them but builds up an immunity, and says the boat stinks for weeks after he's been catching them.

I'm told the Aboriginal community on Straddie liked to get them as well in traditional fish traps.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by ashh View Post
    She handled it with a rag because she didn't know what it was, but when she went to throw it back in the spines got caught in the rag and it came back and got her in the ankle.... was in pain for quite a while and rated it 7 out 10, 10 being the most.
    If you happened to carry a thermos flask with some hot water or coffee it would have helped to bathe the area in it, happened to me with a scorpion cod and was never so glad my mate had packed a thermos.