Thread: how to finish over epoxy fibreglass ?

how to finish over epoxy fibreglass ?

Hi guys
    Been doing work on the boat and ive been using epoxy resin. Ive been doing underfloor work and will be doing a new floor soon. I know epoxy goes a bit brown in the sun after a few years. So what do you guys recommend finishing off with ?
    2 pak paint ? epoxy flow coat? ive heard you can use awlgrip primer then use polyester flow coat over that and it sticks well.
    The boat is painted on the outside with paint, im not sure what type though.
    epoxy under the floor will be ok as its not going to be affected by UV but not sure what to use on the floor.
    Any help how to finish off would be helpful. thanks.

Re: how to finish over epoxy fibreglass ?

If it is the floor you can use a non slip paint.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Epoxy does go an ugly brown and I've found painting it white to start always looks better, and makes it easier to see in there if you ever have to have a squiz. I used a primer first then 2pac white paint left over from other jobs.

Regarding non-slip directly on epoxy: I tried this and in some places on my boat and the Kiwi Grip is starting to chip. I shoulda primed it first with a high quality, high build primer. In my mind this creates a bit of a padding between the non slip and the harder than hell epoxy. Just my opinion from a sample of one.
    S&S34
    Spirited 230

I have an epoxy surfboard clear coat, and it has gone all brown. I asked a surfboard ding repair bloke what I could paint it with this was his reply..

Hey ash,
    Yeah you can spray it for sure. Use a water based acrylic. Basically a car paint . You can buy ok ones from super cheap in a pressure pack. Posca pens also work good if you want to do some pin lines.
    Give it a clear coat with some acrylic clear and wet rub finish it in a 1200 grit.
    I'd give it a key using 400 grit, and use some wax and grease remover to get rid of any old wax.
    Good luck, send us a pic when your done.
    Yewww
    .......Ash

Ask a paint shop for an epoxy garage floor paint.

The problem with paint epoxy is the waxy amine blush. A good degreaser and water wash down is needed.

Then a rough surface to prep. 120/180 is my method. 320 if using two pack.

I've had success with polyester flowcoat over epoxy with this method too.

My boat was a combination of white flowcoat and grey epoxy floor paint.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

I'm going to be finishing my floors on my boat soon, they are epoxy fibreglass. I'm going to paint the interior with my chosen colour of 2pack polyurethane (Jotun Hardtop Ultra). Just wondering how to non-slip the floor while matching the polyurethane colour. I was thinking of applying non slip to the floor, then painting over it to match the colour, will this reduce the non slip effect too much do you think? And will the polyurethane hold up to traffic?

You can add the non-slip to the paint for the first coat, and the two coats of paint with no grit to finish off.

Quote Originally Posted by xiphias82 View Post
    I'm going to be finishing my floors on my boat soon, they are epoxy fibreglass. I'm going to paint the interior with my chosen colour of 2pack polyurethane (Jotun Hardtop Ultra). Just wondering how to non-slip the floor while matching the polyurethane colour. I was thinking of applying non slip to the floor, then painting over it to match the colour, will this reduce the non slip effect too much do you think? And will the polyurethane hold up to traffic?
    Hey xiphias,

Jotun hardtop is a perfect choice. Glass beads from the paint shops is the nonskid I use.

Just mix up the paint as normal. Roller the paint on to a masked up outline where you want the nonskid. While it's still wet just shake the glass beads evenly over the top of it.

Let it set and lightly brush or air blower the loose extra beads into the bilge and vacuum them up. Then roller a second coat over the top.

The second coat actually sets the beads for longer wear. And is softer on bare feet. Two pack is slippery when first applied. But gets better each trip. Be warned the second coat uses a lot of paint to cover properly.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.