Thread: Mercury 60 hp Bigfoot

Mercury 60 hp Bigfoot

Good morning all.

I'm about to buy a new Mercury 60 hp Bigfoot.

I'm looking for someone that has one to ask following questions.

1. Are you happy you bought it ?
    2. Have you had any problems and if so what ?
    3. What gauges did you get and why ?
    4. Is there an inbuilt speedo with this motor ?
    5. Is there a trim/tilt gauge ?
    6. Is the smartcraft gauge good and what reading can you get out of it ?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Mercury 60 hp Bigfoot

4 and 5 .. Who cares, two of the most useless gauges ever made.

I am up to 970 hours in 8 years with my Merc 60 4 stroke. Not a bigfoot, but very similar.

I am very happy with it and have only had a couple of minor issues in the past year or so of parts which needed to be replaced - one was the rectifier and the other the "controller" (regulates idle speed and air intake). I have also been very happy with the dealer support I have had in Brisbane.

I got the single smart craft gauge because it tells me everything I need to know. I keep it on the screen showing battery volts, engine hours and RPM (??), but there are 12 screens to scroll through if you wish with all the info you need. I am pretty sure this was part of the package I purchased, so no need to upgrade or change.

As above, get your speed off your GPS and/or sounder and trim by sound and feel.

Shakey 55, I just repowered with one only a couple of weeks ago. I repowered my 2009 Quintrex escape with it, it previously had a Honda 50. So far I have only done two trips, the first to run it in and to check engine height and propeller pitch. The second was a fishing trip to platypus bay. During that trip I travelled 65 nautical miles and used 35.4 litres. I know this because I have the smart craft tacho fitted. I must agree with Noelm re trim gauge and speedo, for trim use feel and GPS for speed. Am I pleased with it? Hell yes! The Honda was a lovely motor but a little underpowered, it would cruise at 21 knots doing 4750 rpm. I now cruise at 23 knots at 4200 rpm or 25 knots at 4500 rpm. The only problem so far was that during the pre-delivery they forgot to grease the steering column. The smart gauges are brilliant, they tell you rpm, fuel used per hour at any given rpm, total fuel used, troll control engine and oil temp, voltage output and hours used. I'm sure you can program it to do more but I'm still learning. A mate bought a boat with an Optimax motor and whilst driving it for the first time the motor died, the smartcraft gauge told him that he dislodged the emergency stop. Duh. Cheers Winston.

Winston.
    Do you run the smartcraft gauge through you finder/GPS or does all that information show up on the gauge.

Yes I'm aware the speed and trim are virtually useless, but I was just asking the question.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shakey 55, all the information appears on the gauge. I have the tacho and which also has a smaller inbuilt LCD display. You select whatever data by scrolling through the menu. Cheers Winston.

I had a Merc big foot 60hp 2 stroke and my outboard mechanic said the gear cases are bulletproof. The motor did let me down though, I limped home on 2 cylinders. I don't know about the 4 stroke.
    " I have come to understand that I really do enjoy learning things the hard way "